Upgrading the Hard Drive of a MBP and transferring the data to new HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Illegit, May 19, 2009.

1. Illegit macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a MBP which is about a year and a half old. I have begun to run out of space on my MBP and am considering updating the hard drive to an SSD. However, I do not want to lose my data in the process and would like everything to be the same once transferred over.

I understand that changing the Hard Drive will void my warranty and I am okay with that. Here are my questions and concerns:

My MBP has both OS X and windows (via Boot Camp). I would like to retain the data of both partitions exactly as is on my new hard drive. So to do that, what do I have to do? I imagine that I need a special piece of software for both OS X and Windows to clone my hard drive. What software do I need? Then after cloning the drive, what would I have to do?

Thanks for any help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You won't void your warranty by replacing the hard drive, unless you damage something in the process.

TO clone your drive, you should get an external USB 2.5" enclosure (they go for 15€ to 30€) to put your new drive in for cloning, and after you've finished for backing up your data or so.

You can use SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner for cloning your Mac OS partition.

I don't know what software can be used for cloning the Boot Camp partition, but soon someone will tell you.

Or use MRoogle to find something.

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The application to create a clone of the Boot Camp partition is known as WinClone.

Just to affirm spinnerlys' statement, replacing the hard drive itself does not void the warranty. What it does mean however, is that if you need to get the SSD replaced, or it crashes at some point while you're within the AppleCare hardware coverage period, you can't call them up and ask them to DIY a replacement drive to you.