Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Architect4122

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I've done enough looking around, and I've built a few PCs to be knowledgeable enough to finally lay down a few bucks for some memory.

I've used Corsair in the past, and I'm sticking with them. They were always slightly higher in the PC whelm, but it was solid stuff, and worked great, it was also referenced by friends who built their comps as well.

So here is the site (and the memory many others beside me have looked at):

http://corsair.com/products/mac_memory.aspx

This will be for my MacBook Pro. Its the only 4gb offering from corsair for the MBP: model #: VSA4GSDSKIT667C4

The newegg site you can buy from (link from the corsair page) has the model # correct.

I'd rather buy from Amazon. their link redirects.

...and when i do a search for that same model number it brings up a match that is missing an "S" between the G and D

granted its the only 4gb laptop memory corsair has, its odd that the initial link from corsair for amazon redirects.

I don't want to say I'm paranoid, but even on corsairs's page their model numbers are pretty close, changing just one number or letter for a completely different item.

Thanks.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
You dont need mac memory. You are just as likely to buy PC memory that doesnt work with your chipset on your PC as you are with memory that doesnt work on a mac.

Go to newegg, find some cheap popular ram in the PC section and check the reviews if you want confirmation that its mac compatible. Macbooks are very popular and its easy to find someone who says it works or doesnt work on their mac.

nemein

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008
Canada
Can anyone tell me if its even worth upgrading the memory? What performance gain would you see, and in what instances? I'm doing mostly internet browsing/word processing, but will use it for the occasional gaming - main reason I'm choosing this over the MB. But with the dedicated GPU, I see little need for an overkill of 4 Gb ram... When would you ever USE all of it??

Edit: Oh, and for the topic starter... It seems you are set on using Corsair ram. What noticeable differences are there between the different ram brands?

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
I've upgraded a Mid 2007 Macbook Pro and a Late 2007 Blackbook with 2x2GB sticks from Datamemorysystems.com without any compatibility issues. The shipping was fast and I can't really comment on customer service as I had no need to contact them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.