Upgrading to High Sierra -> Home Folder is on External Drive

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by topofroc, Mar 29, 2018.

1. topofroc macrumors newbie

topofroc

Is it possible to upgrade to High Sierra if your OS and Home Folders are on different drives?

Is there any way to upgrade without shifting everything to my internal drive?

I've got a 2014 iMac with a 512GB SSD drive and external 4TB thunderbolt drive. The SSD holds the OS and the external drive holds my Home folder.

This iMac is running OS X Yosemite since I purchased it, but now I would like to upgrade tp High Sierra.

I've heard horror stories about setups like mine locking up because the internal drive has the new file management system while the external is Mac Journaled.

Any recommendations?

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I have a similar setup where I split my fusion iMac and have High Sierra on the SSD and all my files but not the entire Home folder on the HDD. I simply choose not to use the default folders for Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures. I removed the defaults from sidebar and replace with the ones from my HDD.

I suspect you selected to put the entire Home folder on external so I'm not sure if it will see the folders already existing if you do the same setup.

3. topofroc thread starter macrumors newbie

topofroc

Thanks for the response. My biggest concern is that the new Mac OS file system (after upgrading the SSD) won't be able to read the external drive.

Like I mentioned, I've seen in other forums that people had difficulty using external drives formatted as Mac Journaled (aka SUPER slow read/write times) after moving to High Sierra.

Anyone experienced that? Is there a way to convert these external drives to the new file system BEFORE upgrading to High Sierra?