Upgrading to new iPhone..what are my options to sell?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by linkgx1, Aug 22, 2012.

1. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Okay, so I have the AT&T iPhone 4s (16GB) and I'm thinking about upgrading to the new iPhone. I'm thinking about selling my iPhone now possibly, but really don't want to upgrade for more thank $250. What are the best options to sell? Ebay, craigslist? This is my first time...so I'm not sure what's going on. Please help.

2. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

I listed my iPhone 4 16gb AT&T on ebay this past weekend. In my opinion ebay is one of the best ways to sell an iPhone. Just research what other similar iPhone with similar conditions are going for and make your own listing.

e.x. I listed mine for buy it now of 349.99 with an auction reserve of 275$, according to what others are going for in minimal wear condition it should sell...

3. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

That was fast, thanks. Okay, so if you want upgrade do you have to buy the unlocked version?

4. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Nope.

5. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

What options do I have? I heard something about early upgrade, but I'm not sure.

6. STiNG Operation macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

Well, I think you should call AT&T for that question. As long as your eligible for an upgrade you should just be able to take the money you get from selling your 4s to buy the new iPhone.

7. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

The other person sold their iPhone 4... so they were probably due for an upgrade. I gave my 4S to my girlfriend and posted my old iPhone 4 that she had been using on eBay. I started the auction at $0.99 for 3 days.

Within 30 minutes, it was at $69.00 with 18 people watching it. I had ATT carrier unlock the phone. So it will sell for somewhere around $350 or so. I listed it internationally.

All of the unlocked iPhone 4 16 GB models were selling around $350 (even the ones who only offer domestic shipping. With it being unlocked, more international bidders will be interested.

8. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'll definitely call them. I didn't think about that.:p

----------

Ooo, this is making me excited!:D

9. byteoftheapple macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4S 64GB on sprint. Should I sell it now, or wait until the new one is announced?

10. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you have a backup phone? Most sources are telling me to sell now. The Sprint one is actually worth more.

I'm wondering if I can upgrade without virutally paying anything

11. byteoftheapple macrumors newbie

That's the thing, I don't have a backup, so I would be without a phone. In that case, I might have to wait.

12. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'd be without a phone.. so I'm just going to wait and take a slight loss.

13. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I just sold my White 16GB 4s for $425 + $20 shipping on eBay. Getting cash to buy the next iPhone...

Ebay or Craigslist will most likely be your best option to sell.

14. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's good. Where is your sim card going until then?

15. wutang61 macrumors regular

16. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I have done this the last few years. So far though every year since the 3G AT&T has given me a full upgrade on launch day si I have been able to come out ahead. I sold my white 32 gb iPhone 4s for $550 on eBay. If AT&T gives me the upgrade this year I'll be about $200 ahead. If not a 32gb new iPhone should cost $550 on an early upgrade. Either way I am ready for launch day :rolleyes::D:apple:

17. Chris4661 macrumors newbie

My personal opinion is Craigslist if your in a hurry to sell. If you want top dollar eBay. eBay takes a chunk out of your $ though. Don't remember how much. Hope that helps when you deside to sell. :)

18. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

I'm surprised Macrumors doesn't have a Buy/Sell/Trade forum. You'd think longtime Mac users would be the most reliable buyers.

Anyway, I'd go with a place like Ebay or a forum that has a BST section, unlike this one. Any place that is teeming with cell phone buyers is bound to result in a quick and reliable sale. Just make sure to follow protocol to the letter wherever you end up selling or you'll get scammed during your first sell.

19. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

MR does have a bst section. :rolleyes: You need to reach a certain posting level, before you can even access it though.

20. Lamarak macrumors 6502

I personally wont use ebay for iphones sales. Its just to easy to get ripped off and lose your phone. Ebay is just too buyer friendly for me. Youll see some people that will say its safe, so just be careful. But this time of year brings out the con artists to get your iphone manipulating the policies of ebay and paypal.

Craigslist, just make sure you dictate the terms of the sale of where and when to meet.Make sure in a public place inside a building, I usually meet inside an ATT store myself. Dont let people dissuade you from this no matter what or how much they offer if do something else.

Also, when you count fees, shipping and insurance, usually the money youll get is not much different from selling on ebay.You might get a bit less but youll have money in hand and no way for them to reverse charges on you at paypal.

21. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Be vey careful about listing on eBay internationally. I've read numerous stories of people getting ripped off and being SOL.

You could also try using the forum's search function.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Ebay is very easy to get ripped off on like others said. Craigslist will be the safest while still getting you the best bang for your buck. If you want easy gazelle is the way to go....they currently let you lock in a quote for your phone and you do not have to ship it until October 1.....so you could lock in the price today and ship it once you get the new iphone.

23. SlyMac macrumors 6502

I try to sell it to someone I know. Saves the headache of dealing with ebay and craigslist. If your work has a classified ad use that. Also, macrumors has a classified section if you've met the requirements too. I am not there yet, but people say its a good one. I would avoid craigslist and ebay at all costs.

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Craigslist has always been the quickest way for me. I will put my wife's iPhone as well as mine on CL once we purchase the new iPhone to offset our costs and then purchase our children the iPhone 4 for $50.

25. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You won't get as much cash as eBay but Gazelle is buying iPhones today and not requiring the trade-in until October.
    Interesting way to lock in today's pricing while still keeping your phone for an other month.