upgrading to sdd on macbook1.1 as well as maxing out all upgrades. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aidansdaddy, Aug 31, 2012.

1. aidansdaddy macrumors newbie

Ok so i would like to know what the largest size sdd dive i can put in my original macbook as well as know how to update to mountain liion? I am running 10.4.11 and want to upgrade to the latest. I am a new mac user and am wanting to upgrade the mackbook i bought as far as it can stretfch. Any good ideas of where and whichdrive i should purchase that would be best? wanting to do solid state and have already ordered me 2x 1gb mem cards. Any other upgrades anyone can reccomend?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because that machine has a CoreDuo, you can only run up to Snow Leopard/10.6.8 on it because it lacks 64-bit support for Lion and Mountain Lion. You can put any sized SSD into it. It will work with the largest ones currently available.

3. aidansdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

how do i et it to upgrade to snow leopard? and once a get the ssd wont that work for lion? i am fairly computer savy but an just learning hardware and what it all does an means. by no means an expert. i just want my macbok run at fuul potential. Can i call apple and get assistance? also where could i pich up an ssd from?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To upgrade it to Snow Leopard, you need the Snow Leopard retail disc. This is a box that has a picture of a snow leopard on it and originally sold for $29. A SSD will not allow it to run Lion. It cannot run Lion or newer because the CPU that is soldered onto the logicboard cannot run 64-bit programs. Lion and newer require a 64-bit CPU. You can call Apple, they may charge for assistance. MacRumors provides rather good free help as well. You can get a SSD from local retailers like Best Buy or online at sites like NewEgg or Amazon. They are slightly cheaper when purchasing them through an online retailer.

5. aidansdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome! youve been alot of help.. just one a couple more questions.. Whats the benifits of snow leopard compared to what i have now? Also im looking to try to get a clear casing for my mackbook 2006 i want to get rid of te original white casing and get an entire see thru casing? Do you know if anyone makes that? Not like a protective case but the actual computer enclosure its self ?
    also do i have to up grade to 10.5 ect or can ii just go to snoe leopard?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Snow Leopard will be faster, more secure, and more modern. It will also allow you to use more up to date software and be more compatible with a wider range of hardware. There is no clear body for the Macbook. The G3 and G4 iBook's body could be turned clear by removing the paint on the inside of the case, but the Macbook's plastic is white/black. Not clear like the iBook's. You do not need to upgrade to Leopard first. But to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard requires that you erase your hard drive first. You cannot do an upgrade installation from Tiger to Snow Leopard.

7. aidansdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

is tiger what i have? if so could you tell me how to do that? To erase the hard drive then install snow leopard? and thats what i thought i was just making sure.. i have contacted a company that makes custom plastics out of missouri and they are gonna custom make it for me. I think im gonna try to do snow leopard, 120gb sdd and the 4gb memory. If i install snow leopard now will i have to redo it when i get my ssd? As of now i cant even use my itunes for my iphone.

8. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Jesus Christ, mate! The bloody thing is six years old. Are your really going to have someone custom make a case for a six year old computer?

As for upgrades. I have a 1.1 as well. Here's the upgrades on mine. I was running 10.4.11 Tiger when i purchased it as well:

Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail
    2x1GB DDR2 SoDimm
    OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 120GB
    Optibay/Superdrive 2nd HDD adapter with 250GB Toshiba. (500gb crapped out on me.)
    WIFI-N
    OWC "Hi-Capacity" battery. (Whether or not its any better than stock, I can't say. I have nothing to compare it to.)
    Undervolted with CoolBook