Upgrading to snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brasiliangringo, Nov 24, 2009.

1. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

I want to upgrade and do a full install from a cleanly formatted hard drive.

Do i have to purchase the box set edition as advised by Apple at around 130british pounds or is it pssible to use the uprgrade disk ?

Any experience ?

2. rowsdower macrumors 6502

No personal experience, but supposedly you can use the upgrade disc even if Leopard is not installed.

3. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks do you have the link or just hear say .. ?

4. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Here for example.

5. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

6. Cboss macrumors 6502

The upgrade and box set Snow Leopard discs are identical. The "upgrade" will work exactly as you want it to.

7. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, it's just that Apple trusts its customers. If too many people violate the EULA, then we won't see this low of a price to upgrade again.

9. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Fair enough but if I can pay Apple 29 bucks for a upgrade disk to take me from Leopard to Snow, then im slightly perplexed why they tell me i need to shell out over a 100 to do a fresh install.. Dont see why i should pay all that amount more to do a fresh install on the same machine..

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

Because that’s not correct. The Mac Box set is licensed for Tiger users. If your computer has Leopard (via having a retail discs or restore discs) even if it doesn’t ask you, is sufficient - it’s an honor based system. Apple is just asking that you have the previous system somehow. Every retail OS has been able to be installed on a blank hard drive, but that isn’t unique to Apple - you can install Windows 7 Upgrade on a blank hard drive (MS is bigger on enforcement however).

You are confusing the media capabilities with the license allowance. The media just performs what it’s capable of doing - the licenses actually dictates what you are permitted. All retail discs can be installed on a black hard drive - having a Mac is part of the eligibility requirements. In the past it was the only eligibility requirements.

If you have leopard in any fashion (even if it is not physically installed), your possession of a leopard license is good enough for Apple’s legal team. They are being really trusting with you so don’t abuse it.

11. brasiliangringo thread starter macrumors regular

Ok , well I spoke with Apple and they simply told me in order to do a clean install (The guy knowing I already had a leopard Mac) I would need to purchase the box set which costs over 130 quid here or your side of the pond whatever it does, and I would not be able to do a clean install from the Upgrade disk..

Anyway I have a solution now thanks to this forum..

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

If he knew you had Leopard, then he misinformed you. Maybe that's the source of your confusion.