Upgrading to the iPhone 5 is a complete waste ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

... if you have an iPad 3 already???

Since getting the iPad it has completely changed how much I use my iPhone. I am mostly on my iPad whenever I am at home, school, or work since its so compact and the logitech bluetooth keyboard makes it a great laptop replacement with its instant on capability so its always ready to go at moments notice. The retina screen and battery life on the iPad is simply amazing :eek:

Is it even worth it to upgrade to the iPhone 5 (from my 4s) if you have an iPad that you take most everywhere with you?

Anyone else out there with both an iPad and iPhone 4s feeling the same way? :confused:

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

i'd argue its a complete waste regardless of an iPad if you have an iphone 4S.

3. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why would you say that? If I didn't have an iPad 3 that I use heavily then it wouldnt even be a hesitation on if I'd buy the iPhone 5.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Actually no, I don't carry my iPad with me everywhere (it just isn't feasible). But my iPhone is a "computer" that is ALWAYS ON ME, no matter what, at the ready to send a message, surf the internet, look something up, or get notifications from my boss to get to work on something(ugh).

5. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Or are you just a tad bit upset that you purchased the ipad 3, and boom.. here's the iphone 5?

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Well, an iPhone is a heck of a lot more portable than an iPad, in the sense that one can be shoved into a pants pocket and the other can't. Well, at least not in any of my pants. ;) I love my iPad 3 but will absolutely get the iP5 because my phone is with me pretty much 100% of the time and the iPad I tend to use more around the house. And I doubt I'll ever get used to shooting photos with the iPad. Talk about ungainly.

7. Mikekan macrumors regular

I agree, when I bought the ipad3 I stopped using the iphone except for making calls, the small screen just looked tiny....Now with the bigger screen I am in the same dilemma as you...

8. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I have an iPad 3 and will buy the iPhone 5 hey both have their different uses. So no it is not a waste.

9. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

I also have a motorolla startac somewhere. Between that, my cd Walkman, and super Nintendo, I have no idea why I'm upgrading.

10. PDFierro macrumors 68040

No, completely disagree. You don't need to upgrade if you already have the iPad 3 and a 4S, but it's up to the individual user. Doesn't mean it's a waste for anybody. If you want the 5 and would use it, then get it.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The pattern of these threads cannot be a coincidence. Just admit who you are.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Because ur phone and iPad are 2 separate devices. I have an iPad 3 and a 4S, and I'm pre ordering the 5 tonight. I love browsing on the ipad, but it could never replace my phone. 2 totally seperate devices. One could never replace the other. I take my iPad a lot of places, but not everywhere. My phone is with me 24/7 and it is very convenient.

Sounds like someone is trying to justify his not being able to upgrade.

For someone who posts negative posts constantly about apple, it's a wonder you still hang around here. :confused::rolleyes:

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I guess it depends if you ever leave your house.

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

I disagree completely. I've currently got an iPhone 4S and a third generation iPad but I'm most definitely getting an iPhone 5. As much as like my iPad and use it a lot both at home and on the go it's not as portable and I don't always have it with me. I always have my iPhone and the user experience will be significantly better then on my iPhone 4S with the bigger screen and faster CPU/GPU.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Last time I checked the iPad is simplified tablet computer whereas the iPhone is… I don't know, a phone?

I don't see how they conflict. Also you can't really put your iPad in your pants pocket.

16. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Last time I checked, I can't stuff my The New iPad in my front pocket.

If you can afford an The New iPad, you can afford the iPhone 5. It's $199 for cripesakes.

BJ

17. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

Threads like these are made by folks who typically upset because either they can't afford it, or they used their upgrades/money on the previous version.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Not in this case.

19. Big.Mac.Daddy, Sep 13, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you Mikekan, I was wondering if there was anyone out there who felt the same way :)

I still use it for situations where I don't have wifi for my iPad, but for most of the time I do and for those moments I don't the 4s seems to work good.

Is it really worth it to upgrade from the iPhone 4s to the 5 if your not using your phone as much anymore and you'd have to add a line to upgrade? :confused:

Need to make a decision before midnight tonight

20. HeyGreggie macrumors 65816

HeyGreggie

allow me to rephrase.

Folks want their smartphone to be a smart computer.

21. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Exactly.

And why would you provide yourself the best tablet experience on Earth and deliberately deprive yourself of the best phone experience?

It's like saying you own a Learjet yet drive a Toyota.

Pointless.

BJ

22. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Talk about a waste.

This has to be one of dumber postings.

On the other hand, if someone thinks it is not the best fit for him/her, then fine. For some people, a combination of Ipad and a flip phone would be just fine.

For many others - it just is not gonna work.

But to make a statement that is a complete waste is.... well a complete waste of words.

23. Big.Mac.Daddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess it conflicts because before I got the iPad I was on my iPhone CONSTANTLY I'd even use it over my desktop at home to browse the net... BUT...

Now that I have the new iPad my iPhone usage seems to have decreased significantly. While the iPhone 5 is an amazing piece of technology and the best smartphone out there I am just trying to figure out if its worth it for me to upgrade to it by adding a line versus simply keeping my 4s that I don't use as much as I used to because of my iPad 3.

I guess I am not alone since Mikekan has the same nagging feeling :(

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Have a Verizon LTE iPad 3. Not always with me. Want LTE in my phone too. Done.

25. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 3. Orderong iPhone 5 tonight. Tomorrow I will be getting a cake and I will eat it too!