Upgrading to uMB w/ WD Black 320gb 7200rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fr00b, Aug 10, 2009.

1. fr00b macrumors regular

So I'm thinking of upgrading my stock 160gb HDD that came with my uMB, late 2008. Im thinking of buying a HDD with 7200rpm speed, and I came across the WD Black for under £60 from Lambda Tek.

http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?searchString=WD3200BJKT&level1_uid=0&go=go

Is this good value for money, and is it reliable, quiet, and not a heavy impact on battery life. Are there any other alternatives?

Finally, to move my whole OS across, would I need a 2.5" caddy, format the 320gb, and then restore from a Time Machine back up?

Thanks ;)

EDIT: Thread titles meant to read Upgrading uMB w/ WD Scorpio Black 320gb 7200rpm

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I recommend that you buy This One instead. The fall sensor in the one that you posted will interfere with the motion sensor that is in your MacBook. I have this model in mine and it works perfect. -GDF

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That hasn't been proven yet. Apple uses the Seagate 7200.4 with G-Shock. If it really did conflict with the motion sensor, I don't think Apple would be using it. If there is an article out there, I would love to read it - would make a good read.

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Well: Here
    and Here
    and Here
    Here's another
    and another
    Granted these aren't proven but I say why risk it. Why not go with a drive with a better track record.

5. fr00b thread starter macrumors regular

Ah right. Thanks for your replies. I was initially going to buy the one without the free fall sensor, but I wasn't aware of the fact that the Macbook had it's own SMS.

I will go for the Black without then.