Upgrading to Yosemite: How do I take care of an old Parallels 5 installation?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by doxavita, Feb 18, 2015.

1. doxavita, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015

doxavita macrumors 6502a

I would like to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Yosemite.

The thing is, I have an old Parallels 5 (5.0.9370) installation (NOT Bootcamp) + it's own files/applications.

Can I safely upgrade to Yosemite, and perhaps keep this installation intact?
    Then at a later time, perhaps buy the latest Parallels version, in order to keep using it?

My Parallels version is currently in English, and currently I can only find Spanish versions where I'm located, could this also be an issue?

*EDIT: I don't really use that installation that often and I would prefer not to purchase anything at the moment

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

How about purchasing Parallels 10 online? There should be English versions on the official Parallels website.

3. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I don't really use that installation that often and I would prefer not to purchase anything at the moment

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Well, don't be surprised if Parallels doesn't work well or even start :rolleyes:

5. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

Are you aware that all of the PowerPC applications that you use in Snow Leopard will fail to run natively in Yosemite?

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I doubt that you will get Parallels 5 to work under Yosemite as version 9 required an update for full compatibility with Yosemite. People with version 8 were unable to get it to work. If you really need the Windows programs don't upgrade to Yosemite until you can upgrade Parallels too.

You didn't mention which version of Windows you were running. If it's XP, be aware that no security updates are being made to it unless you have an enterprise license agreement with Microsoft.

7. MichaelLAX macrumors 6502a

8. doynton macrumors 6502