Uploading photos to iPad takes more space than size of photos

Discussion in 'iPad' started by VasiliiNorris, Mar 31, 2012.

1. VasiliiNorris, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012

VasiliiNorris macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.
    I have a problem: for example, I have a folder that contains 882MB of photos. When I load them to iTunes, it tells me that its size is 1,45GB. If I choose a folder with 36GB of photos, it tells me that its size is 51GB. Why does it happen?

Also see screenshot and don't mind the language, 'cause I've marked everything you need to see.

BTW, I use iMac 2010 w/ Mac OS X 10.6.8 and iPad is 64GB LTE iPad 3, if it means anything.

[​IMG]

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you don't sync that folder is foto 0?

Are there any pics directly on your iPad?

B

3. VasiliiNorris thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, there are some photos that I've taken with iPad camera, and if I uncheck this folder from sync, it shows me that there's only 0,03GB of space occupied.

4. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

I think that it creates thumbnails so not only does it store the actual photos, it also stores the thumbnails of the said photos.

5. VasiliiNorris, Apr 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012

VasiliiNorris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thumbnails with size that extends the size of original photos?

Well, it has now gone further. When I choose a folder of 40 MB, iTunes first tells me that their size is 0,08GB, and after they are uploaded to iPad, it tells me that their size is 0,19GB.

6. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Could you tell us some more details about the photos you are syncing. Are they JPEGs? What size are they in megapixels? How many individual photos are in your 40 Mb directory?

If I remember correctly photos synced to an iPad are stored in an uncompressed or less compressed format with a maximum resolution of (I think) 3 megapixels. This is what happens in the "Optimising" stage of iTunes syncing. I think that this is to improve performance in the Photos app. If your original images are lower resolution (probably 5 megapixels or less) and/or highly compressed then the photos on the iPad could take up a lot more space than the originals.

7. VasiliiNorris thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh... Now it makes sense, 'cause I've converted them in Lightroom to 2048x1536. There are 33 photos in this 40 MB directory. And yes, they are JPEGs with sizes ranging from 900 kb to 6 mb.

So... What you recommend me to do? My goal is to upload my full photo collection to iPad (~19000 photos) while retaining good quality and sharpening, and if I convert them to 2048x1536, their size is 36 gb, which is good enough for me.