UPS did a GREAT job w/ my 4S delivery.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by j.dstasio, Oct 14, 2011.

1. j.dstasio, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

I had a meeting this morning at work I couldn't miss so I left my wife in charge of watching out for my UPS delivery at home. This morning my tracking info showed a failed delivery attempt at 9:27am & a 2nd delivery was set up automatically for Monday morning! Wife fail! I called home to find out why my wife had not answered the door. She claimed not to hear the doorbell. It turns out that our doorbell in fact wasn't working when she checked it.

I called UPS to see if it was possible to pick up the phone later today at a depot or something. The UPS rep took down my name and a call back number & I was told someone would call me later if it was possible & give me the time and location it would be available. Yeah right... a callback I thought... Sure.

15 Minutes later I received a call from a guy at UPS named Bob. He put me on hold for a few minutes and said my package could be picked up around 6:30 or 7pm at the area hub. I was a bit bummed that it would be another trip out after work, but it was better than waiting all weekend. He gave me a direct number to call him back on and said feel free to call if I had any other questions.

About 30 minutes later Bob called me again and let me know that the driver was in the area and could meet me someplace if I wanted to get my phone. I explained that I really appreciated the offer, but was bout to head into the meeting and wouldn't be able to get out of the office.

He put me on hold for a few minutes and told me the driver was actually running ahead of schedule and could make another stop at my house to drop off my package. He said he would be there around 2-2:15.

I called home to give my wife the heads up. She left a note about the door bell for him just in case. The driver showed up again right at 2:00.

Bob gave me a courtesy call around 2:30 just to let me know that the driver had left the iPhone with my wife.

I was extremely happy that UPS went out of their way to help me out & were very friendly the whole time. Given the amount of extra workload they had today, I was very impressed.

TL;DR: UPS went out of their way to get my iPhone to me even though it was my fault it wasn't delivered on time this morning.

2. SaintsMac macrumors 6502

That is cool! It is nice to hear that there are some good customer service people out there!!

3. matthewskyle macrumors member

My UPS guy was awesome. He actually waited for me to get my butt out of bed on my day off and answer the door. I was shocked, most of the time they knock and give you like 10 seconds then turn around and get back in their truck. Not to mention he had it here at 8:30 this morning.

4. mranderson930 macrumors member

Awesome. My UPS man always makes sure he visits my house LAST.

5. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've had something similar happen before. I called them, they contacted the driver, he called me, and coordinated a time when I'd be back home so he could swing by again. At the time I thought maybe it was because the package was an 75 pound subwoofer that he didn't want to offload back at the hub and then reload back on the truck again the next day, but maybe it was just good customer service afterall. lol

6. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Yeah me too. I thought today would be a good day since I sold my 32gb ip4 relatively easily (buyer went out of his way to drive 45 mins to my area), but I guess my patience needed some sharpening today.

7. ChiliBlue macrumors 6502

8. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

5:35 am out for delivery 5:03pm still no package... I live 20 minutes away from the shipping center where all the trucks for this part of jersey dispatch from

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

10. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I can only dream of UPS coming to my house that early. 5PM is early for UPS for me lol

11. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Same here. Been "out for delivery" since 5:30 a.m.
    My friend down the road got his at 7:15 this morning.

12. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

Maybe so

13. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Not all hubs and not all drivers go the extra mile like this - but my experience over the past 10 years shipping over 200,000 packages from three different service hubs via UPS, I have encountered an extraordinary number of people from drivers to reps to hub managers to UPS store franchisees that are willing and eager to provide excellent service.

14. woody888 macrumors newbie

The UPS guy delivered the package alright to the OP's wife, for the second time!

lol, j/k, cool story. often times we get some delivery nightmares. but good to know that this one worked out. congrats.

15. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

The guy who delivered here was awesome too. I wasn't home when he delivered, but he left the package anyway. He was smart enough not to leave it on the porch, he opened the screen door and laid it right inside so it wasn't even visible from the outside.

16. wellok macrumors 6502

That's awesome. I was totally expecting the subject to be sarcastic.

17. wahoo10 macrumors 6502

I thought he was going to go on a rant haha. As the story progressed I was waiting for the "UPS SUCKS!!! kjfnvjkdfn$%$*#$jkcbvd" and was actually getting madder as the story went on thinking "this guy is a dipwad, they bent over backwards for him".

Good for you for telling a good story like this. People fail to realize they deliver/move 1M+ packages a day and there will be mishaps every once in awhile. For every mishap there's a happy story though...

18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yeah, my UPS driver is awesome. He calls my cell when he's on his way with a package he can't just leave. He came early today to give me my phone, I gave him a 650ml of a rare pumpkin beer for being awesome.

19. ichabodkky macrumors member

Did you order from apple or from AT&T? My order got diverted to Beaumont for some crazy reason. It won't be here today.

20. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Pumpkin beer? He's gonna leave that right next to the bottle of prune wine you gave him last time.

Just kidding, I bet the beer tastes great.

21. protobiont macrumors 6502a

My UPS driver is cool too. He knows where I work and it's on the same route as my house. Well, it was a little late getting to my house, but he mentioned that he asked for me at my office thinking he would just deliver it to me there.

It's just as well that I didn't go to work though, I would have been completely unproductive!

22. james92se macrumors 6502a

Me too. I live a few miles from the main hub here, and so we get our deliveries when the driver is going back to the hub at night. I swear, I consistently get UPS deliveries PAST 8-9 PM. I've gotten them as late as 10 PM before.

23. BladeLWS macrumors member

Talked to my UPS driver today. He was raging because he had 30 iPhones to deliver and only two people left pre-sign notices on their doors, the rest weren't home. He said they're under orders to keep trying for all iPhones so that they come today.

24. ZipZap macrumors 601

25. DarkFlame macrumors regular

awesome man, great story and great thread... ppl only complain on here. you should call his supervisor and tell him how impressed you were.