UPS fires 250 employees for staging a 90-minute protest to defend co-worker

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 3, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ups-fires-250-employees-staging-143805147.html

man that has to suck, why could they not protest AFTER work hours?

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Because it could be touted that when they are not working, they are not employees of the company.

But hey, free market and all, so the corporation can do what it bloody well pleases. This would be one of the reasons why a union is needed.

BL.

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

seems they DO have a Union.
    it appears the Employees broke the contract rules.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Oh, a neutered union...the kind that make conservatives happy.

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

UPS has a union which touts itself as being North America's Strongest Union right on its webpage. Ever hear of the Teamsters?

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

no-one ever said that they didn't have unions there; I said that repercussions like this is one of the reasons a union is needed and is good. Effectiveness is another story for debate.

BL.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

no republican made those employees break the contract.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

"North America's Strongest Union"… 250 new jobs created!

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the repercussions are based on the employees breaking the contracts they signed. how can the union protect the employees when the employees decide to break the contract? :confused:

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Should unions get in the way of productivity? While these employees might have done what they thought was right isn't there a time and place for it. Plus certain jobs you cannot just walk off for 90 mins. Maybe they should have filed a grievance with the union.

11. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Often members of a union, especially one as strong as the Teamsters feel that they are bulletproof. The employer just can't fire them. I'm sure if they had known that UPS would fire them, they would have reconsidered this action.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

worked for Hostess ,,,,,,oh, wait, no it did not :D

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Reagan.

Air Traffic Controllers.

imho. UPS and FedEx have become so integrated in our daily lives they should be the next Railroad.

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I agree. Again, I never said or stated that the course of action they took was the right one; just that what they were protesting for and the repercussions of it are why a union is needed, and why it was probable that they couldn't protest after hours.

IMHO, if they screwed up on process, which it appeared they did, they are outside the terms of the contract between the union and employer. It sucks, yes, but there is a way to handle this, and it appears that they may not have done it properly.

BL.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Maybe they'll handle it better at their next job… "Do you want fries with that?"

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ok, a serious reply.
    To make an informed decision you'd have to know what happened with the original worker. It was described as a worked-hours issue with someone who described as a union activist. Did he break rules or was he disputing that he was not payed properly?

Usually in a union environment, these sorts of issues are mediated, and do not result in firing. If you can be fired for arguing with your bosses, then it's a crap contract. One of the big issues for having a union and a contract is so that individuals are not punished at the whim of supervisors, and definitely not fired, unless some gross violation has taken place and that would still require a hearing with union representation.

Now I will admit in the airline unions I am familiar with, if there was a disagreement about being called out on a trip when you were not supposed to be called out, the union always counciled that you should go and then file a grievance. I don't know, but if UPS does not have a grievance process involving neutral 3rd parties, then they have a crap contract.

And seriously the 90 minute protest was not a good thing to do unless there is no grievance process at UPS. The key here is unity. If all of your union members are not on the same page, this is what happens, although if the workers were smart, they'd just walk off their jobs now and not wait for replacements to be trained. Again the key is unity, the group has to be organized and not jump into spontaneous protests that gets them fired.

And as far as I am concerned if you have an anti-strike clause in your contract you'd better have some other mechanism with teeth in it like, mediation and paying your workers triple salary or some such thing for violations of the contract, else you got nothn and BOHICA.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Wow.. just wow. :rolleyes:

I'll say it again, just so everyone is perfectly clear as to what happened here:

PROCESS, not protest, was the cause of their termination. They should have filed grievance with their union, and let the union take care of this. Instead, they went on their own and did it. They failed to follow the process in place, which resulted in their termination.

BL.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The way many large companies have their structure setup, it's the type of system where managers and union employees are always at odds. Managers trying to keep their jobs at all costs by showing good numbers, and union employees trying to avoid rapidly changing insensible regulations that hinders their productivity and work ability.

This only results in frequent turn around for mangers, which in turn results in yet another layer of B.S rules that only makes things more difficult for the employees on the front line.

With some companies, it's on purpose. They want to setup everyone for failure just to get rid on unions.

19. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

This contract was with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters that touts itself as North America's Strongest Union. Do you really think that they had a "crap contract"?

20. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Do you not have any empathy for your fellow human being?

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Does it matter if people don't follow process? If it doesn't, your argument is irrelevant.

BL.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

No. No, I do not.

Then there is some real bad news if the Strongest Union in North America can't make an employer bow down then what good are they? If the Teamsters let someone be terminated, you can bet that there was a good reason, or 250 of them.

On the positive side, we can say that 250 more jobs were created in April.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If you have a contract, don't break it. Unions can't help you if you don't stick to the agreement.

Good talk, see ya out there...[/thread]

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Again, I defer to Process, not protest. The union isn't involved in what happened here; the employers went on their own, without counseling their union for the right course of action. So the union isn't even involved in what UPS has done. So take the union out of your argument, because they are irrelevant as to what happened with the 250 people.

BL.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I see you've not dealt with many unions. Union contracts have specific proceedures that must be followed to terminate employees. One of the union contracts that I dealt with in Rhode Island called for 13 weeks severance pay for any termination other than "gross insubordination". Not a lot of people got fired.

There is no way UPS terminated 250 employees without union and attorney involvement.