UPS has a wormhole?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eyeheartny, Sep 27, 2013.

1. eyeheartny macrumors newbie

I am pretty sure Apple and UPS have collaborated on building a wormhole. I'm going to claim the wormhole is in Anchorage, Alaska. :cool: :p

My new phone left Anchorage yesterday afternoon at 3:25pm Alaska time. The tracking updated to "In Transit" and it arrived here in San Diego County at 10:30am or so. I'm not sure how this happened, considering how long it's taken items to get from the east coast of the US to me here.

It takes real logistics prowess to get an individual item to one person from 3,000 miles away in about 17 hours. That they are doing this with millions of other phones, while still keeping the rest of their service alive and kicking, is a pretty remarkable feat.

I guess this thread is just to counter all the complaining and haters. :) Enjoy your weekends, folks.

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I can remember with prior products something leaves China on one morning and is on my desk the next. I know time changes etc. but when they want to move goods they really move goods.
    meanwhile I'm waiting like 15 days for FEDEX (must be using the post office) to get me something from California - I'm in Maine.

3. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

I'm happy for you but that's a bunch of bull. The logistics thread above mentioned that all items must go to the Kentucky WorldPort from AK. My phone left AK 2 days ago, and it is out for delivery this morning, after making a trip to KY.

4. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Alaska in East Coast?

Yes its 3000+ miles you got that right...should review the map again :)

5. eyeheartny, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013

eyeheartny thread starter macrumors newbie

You think I have any motivation for lying? That's what the tracking info said, and I believe it. Why would I lie?

----------

I did not say that. I was saying that it has taken UPS longer to get things to me from the east coast than it did from Alaska.

----------

Exactly. Impressive!

6. skafia, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013

skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

LOL. Sorry, I guess I didn't word my response correctly. What I meant to say was: "I'm happy for you but [my situation] is a bunch of bull". I never intended to accuse you of lying, even though it came out that way. I blame the fact that English is my second language.

Also, did you pay the extra $10 for expedited shipping?

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I didn't and yet my phone seemed to go through the same wormhole as eyeheartny's did. Somehow it made it from Alaska to my doorstep in NJ in under 12 hours, AND it made a stop through the worldport. And the somehow it made it from Newark International Airport to the central NJ suburbs, to a delivery truck in 20 minutes, which any mere mortal who has ever picked up someone from that airport knows is impossible. :)

8. eyeheartny thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't pay for it, but Apple upgraded me when I called to ask an unrelated question. The CSR was really friendly and offered to upgrade me because I had to wait on hold.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think what may be happening here is that UPS is trying to make a time commitment. The 9pm to 1am Intra Sort at the Ontario Hub does have an Anchorage aircraft that it serves nightly. But Worldport is the preferred destination.

I bought an iPod Nano and a Shuffle once for my wife and I. Came from the China facility on the same aircraft. But in Anchorage my wife's package went to Kentucky and mine went through Ontario. She got her iPod a day after I did.

10. eyeheartny thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. But now that mine is delivered, the detailed tracking finally caught up. Apparently it DID go to KY after being in Anchorage. Arrived at 1am in KY, left at 3:42, and arrived in San Diego at 4:49am local time. Seems like UPS just takes really good advantage of time zones and the overnight shift to make these rather miraculous deliveries happen. It's amazing.