UPS: If devices have a bulky transformer, can I simply buy a simple power bar?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doxavita, May 10, 2011.

  1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

    Jul 6, 2010
    Thinking of buying a CyberPower CP1000PFCLCD UPS.

    Only problem I see with the CP1000PFCLCD is that I may not be able to plug my external hard drive and router (at the same time with the other devices) as their respective transformers are rather bulky in size.(The UPS only has space for 5 plugs (battery powered), and not enough room between the plugs) In that case I would need to buy an additional power bar, although CyberPower does not endorse the use of such measure, do they? Really don't know why. Would that void their warranty?
    (I would need to plug: iMac, external hard drive [bulky transformer], router [bulky transformer], modem, and perhaps a LED Cinema in the future)

    Would that be a valid solution?
  2. DanielCoffey, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

    DanielCoffey macrumors 65816


    Nov 15, 2010
    Edinburgh, UK
    If you have external HDDs, USB hubs, routers etc that have power transformers, then yes, it is easy to just plug them into a 4-way (or whatever you need) and then fit the appropriate adapter to the end of the 4-way lead so that you can plug it into the UPS.

    Here in the UK, many UPS models (I have the APC SMT1000I) have the euro "kettle lead" socket on the back so I just bought a male plug from Maplin, chopped off the standard UK 3-pin plug from the 4-way and put the male kettle lead plug on the end instead.

    It is advisable to have high current items such as the Mac and any external monitors plugged directly into the UPS but low drain things such as hubs, routers etc can go on the power strip together.

    Remember NOT to plug any laser printers into a home UPS as they have a high startup draw that can overload home UPS models. Besides, you don't need to keep a printer going when the power is out.

Share This Page