UPS possibly returning my MBA to sender because of their own laziness. What do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pgiguere1, Aug 3, 2011.

1. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I ordered my BTO MBA (11" i7 256GB) on announcement day and have yet to receive it. I live in Montreal, Canada.

I stayed home the whole day this Monday, as it is the day UPS said they would deliver it, only to find out a delivery attempt sticker on my door. I'm pretty sure I would have heard the bell ring if the delivery guy ringed, but then again maybe I was busy. The sticker said they would try a second attempt the next day.

Tuesday, I couldn't get off from job. They came and left and second sticker saying a third attempt would be made the day after. The sticker said that after the third attempt, the package will be returned to sender, unless I sign the back of the sticker which lets the delivery guy put my package in front of my door if I'm not there.

I didn't sign the sticker as I didn't want to get my MBA stolen. Instead I stayed home today. I even put my alarm clock to wake up earlier, in case the UPS guy came early and I didn't answer, I wouldn't want my MBA returned to Apple. I stayed next to my window watching TV all morning, so I could see the UPS truck arrive from my window.

I saw the UPS truck at around 10:45 from my window. The guy got out quickly with his pre-filled sticker, stuck it on my door, didn't ring, and got back to his truck. I hit the window and shook my arms so he could see/hear me. He didn't. I ran to the door, got out and yelled, but it was too late, he was already leaving with his truck. What the hell. I bet he didn't ring the first time either.

:mad:

As this was clearly not my fault and didn't want my MBA sent back to Apple, I called UPS angrily and explained my situation. The girl said this wasn't normal and that I would get called back for a solution. Then I got called back by another guy an hour later. He was very rude and complained about the fact that they would have to make a fourth delivery attempt (like it's my fault). When I told him the delivery guy didn't ring, he argued that they ALWAYS ring when they attempt delivery (like he would know), and that my doorbell was probably not working (which is not the case). Heck, not only did he not ring but he didn't wait for a second in front of my door, otherwise I could have caught him. The guy on the phone told me they would make another final attempt right after noon.

Guess what? They didn't come at all this time, and I'm afraid my MBA is being returned to China. If I have to wait for it to get there and come back again, it'll take around another month considering how long it took for it to get to me the first time. This is not acceptable.

I hate how I can't seem to punish UPS for not doing their job properly or get any compensation back for a situation that is 100% their fault. They are losing my time and insulting me over the phone while I'm doing more than I should as a customer to get my MBA delivered to me. What should I do? I'd ask to get my shipping refunded, but I didn't pay for it, Apple did. Could I sue for something like this? Or should I contact Apple directly?

:confused:

Thanks for the help, hope I can get my MBA ASAP.

2. VMMan macrumors 6502a

Usually, you can call UPS at a phone number listed on the back of the sticky requesting that they hold the package at their major shipping office.

Then, sometime late in the evening they let customers into their shipping office to claim their packages.

BTW, I believe you 100%, because a similar incident with UPS happened with me, too. But, you don't want to piss off your shipping guy, because it's usually the same UPS guy that does that route daily.

I will sometimes print out a large sign to tape to the front door with something like "ATTN: UPS, I AM HOME WAITING FOR PACKAGE. PLEASE KEEP RINGING OR KNOCKING IF THERE IS NO RESPONSE. THANK YOU"

3. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

I've had the same problem with UPS leaving packages in the apartment office without attempting delivery (they usually come late and there was nothing on the door...this caused me to miss delivery of time sensitive documents because the office was closed by the time I knew what was going on). They've also put stickers on my door without ringing.

Here's what I did (and someone must have done something...no problems since):

1) When you call UPS, don't settle for the first person you talk to. Calmly ask to speak with their manager immediately. Even better, ask for the number to your main local shipping facility. There is a manager at this facility who can help you. I have the number for my local one saved in my phone in case I need to call him again.

2) Express the problem clearly and concisely. Be calm but firm.

3) If all else fails, email carpet bomb the UPS executives. PM me if you want the list I emailed (they didn't all work but at least one got through because I got called back). Use social media. Complain on Twitter, Facebook, etc. Someone will eventually get the picture.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

UPS has really been sloppy at times. In our neighborhood, there are FOUR houses with the number 4 within 1 block of each other (the streets form a sort of square) and it's nothing unusual for UPS (or Fedex) to toss a package to house number 4 on the wrong street. I even went to the trouble of putting the number and street name on my mailbox and UPS still does it.

Some UPS drivers are just lazy anyway. Calling UPS doesn't do much good and even trying to go up the ladder doesn't help either. UPS firmly believes their drivers are perfect and never make mistakes.

5. VMMan macrumors 6502a

UPS is a big company and their drivers are pressured to make timely deliveries. You have good, hard-working people, and you have those who will just justify their service, regardless of the fact that the customer may not be pleased.

If you call UPS soon after the delivery guy misses you, you can actually be patched through directly to the driver by telephone.

My delivery guy was very cool and actually drove back about 30 minutes later to hand me the package.

6. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

UPS totally sucks at this.

I've caught the UPS guy red-handed in a one light knock on the door, then a slap of the "missed you" sticker onto the door 2 seconds later, followed by him starting to leave.

He was a little surprised when I whipped the door open and asked him where he was going.

Really? You write out the sticker before you even knock on the damn door? Then you lightly rap the door once and you're on your way within seconds? So much for the vaunted "ring the doorbell and knock at the same time" approach.

F you, UPS...

7. glen e macrumors 68030

After 1st attempt, I ALWAYS call , tell them to unload it and hold it at the branch station. 95% pct of time I am waiting for the truck to arrive at 630 pm at the branch. Works every time.

8. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

In college we actually had a driver who would yell "UPS!" in a sing song voice immediately after he knocked/rang. That guy was awesome.

I agree that some UPS drivers are lazy (I know mine is), but running it up the chain does work if you get the right people. It specifically helps to talk to the manager of your local sort facility. I may be lucky but our local manager has been very helpful.

9. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Thanks guys, I will try to call and ask them to keep it at their office, although I'm very far from it and don't have a car. It's safer that way.

Now I'm wondering if it's not the driver himself that called me. Maybe I pissed him off when arguing about if my doorbell was functional, perhaps that's why he didn't come.

I hate UPS now. I had very bad experiences with DHL too. Is there even a delivery company that is ok? USPS maybe? FedEx?

10. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I just called them. They say they will keep my package at their office for 5 days. According to Google Maps, it should be either a 3 and a half hour bike ride or a 4 and a half bus ride to finally get my MBA (for the round trip).

I guess it's better than it going back to China. Screw UPS still.

:mad:

11. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

In my house my living room sits right by the door, and I swear, my UPS guy must run marathons, he does ring my doorbell but in the split 1/2 second it takes me to get to my door from my living room this guy is back in his truck pulling away....and its probably a good 20 normal steps from the street to my door....

One day im going to hide out and steal his truck!

12. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

FedEx is OK by me, they wait a reasonable amount of time before leaving.

13. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Overhere, Europe, Netherlands, it's not much better with UPS and fedex is even worse. I once caught the feller while delivering all the parcels of my small street to one address with the remark that the others didn't answer, if she would be so polite to keep them.
    I made a picture of his face and told him he could find a other job as I was going to email and twitter it. I had been sitting in the shade, in my front yard and he never even got near the front door, let alone knock or ring.
    The neighbor was quite angry with him, making her do his job.
    End of it all was that I didn't post or email it, but he has become very accurate and on time.
    I have done this work myself while studying, I know you often don't get enough time, but thats a problem between him and his boss and I don't want to get involved in all that. And certainly not if I paid $143 for a 2 days express.

14. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I had just the opposite experience with FedEx delivering my MBA. I'd taken a half day off work to meet UPS Freight (heavy packages) who was scheduled to deliver my Geekdesk. I got home about 10:15, and there was a tag on my door from FedEx, missed 'em by 5 minutes. I called FedEx to ask them to hold the package so I could pick it up at the depot that night. The CSR to me that the driver wouldn't be back to the depot until 8:30, which is when they close the doors, but if I got there before 8:30 I'd be able to stick around and pick up my package. UPS Freight on the other hand didn't show until 5:30 pm (the delivery was scheduled to have been between 11 am and 3 pm). By the time I finished setting up the Geekdesk it was 7:30, and I decided I was going to blow off heading to the FedEx depot to pick up the MBA. About 15 minutes latter the doorbell rings and its FedEx with my MBA.

15. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

The driver(s) on my UPS route do something almost, but not quite as bad. They just drop the package at the door. No knock, no doorbell. Just drop and go. I've gone to let the dog outside only to find a package sitting there. Sometimes getting rained on. I've taken to signing up for email delivery messages so I know when something has been delivered, lest it sit outside for a day or two without noticing.