Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
No, this isn't an april fools joke (unless the UPS agent was pulling my leg).

My tracking info showed that it arrived in my hometown today - after going through misroute loops in kentucky and "UPS internal activity" (appeared to be just a bunch of scans/checks.

So I called *just* to see if I can pick it up now - they said their system isn't showing it in my town, but it went straight from China to Alaska and is waiting for a clearance scan. She then told me that it's scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, April 1st.

She said that they're not supposed to allow pick up until after the first delivery attempt, but suggested that I call again tomorrow anyway.

Anyone think I have a shot at picking mine up early or am I just wasting my time calling?

I'd love to pick it up early, just to return it the day before launch during my friend's shift at the apple store.

edit: now my tracking info is missing all the misroutes in kentuchy and is now showing china -> another place in china -> kentucky -> UPS internal activity -> alaska, wish I took a screen shot before I refreshed the page!

sfwalter

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Dallas Texas
No, this isn't an april fools joke (unless the UPS agent was pulling my leg).

My tracking info showed that it arrived in my hometown today - after going through misroute loops in kentucky and "UPS internal activity" (appeared to be just a bunch of scans/checks.

So I called *just* to see if I can pick it up now - they said their system isn't showing it in my town, but it went straight from China to Alaska and is waiting for a clearance scan. She then told me that it's scheduled to be delivered on Thursday, April 1st.

She said that they're not supposed to allow pick up until after the first delivery attempt, but suggested that I call again tomorrow anyway.

Anyone think I have a shot at picking mine up early or am I just wasting my time calling?

I'd love to pick it up early, just to return it the day before launch during my friend's shift at the apple store.

Its probably an April Fools Joke. I seriously doubt you will get it on the 1st. You will have to wait til the 3rd like the rest of us.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
Don't get your hopes up. Happens with all the releases. Apple will put a hold on shipments with UPS to not deliver before the 3rd.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
April Fool's. That's one sucky day to receive it on. Won't be able to tell if they're telling the truth or not.

I'm sure UPS is under contract not to hand it out before launch day even if it arrives early. Who knows, screw-ups have happened before though.

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
So what was the hometown?

Lots of people are getting a 4/1 date, check the big threads.

Farmingdale, NY

Showed Farmingdale, NY until I called and a few minutes later UPS tracking showed anchorage, AK.

Really was hoping mine slipped by somehow! Guess I'm a fool. :)

ipadking

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
CA
my ipad in LOUISVILLE

Looks like my iPad is in LOUISVILLE :)

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 03/30/2010 4:29 P.M. BROKERAGE RELEASED SHIPMENT. SHIPMENT IS SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY FOR FURTHER CLEARANCE

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Boy Genius wrote a cool report on how Apple will pretty much guarantee that it won't be delivered early.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010...-customs-clearance-papers-for-ipad-shipments/

That report is just speculation. The only difference between that report and posts by users in the "iPad Shipped..." thread is that it's being advertised as news.

If iPads have indeed made it past AK and into the continental US then it would be safe to assume they passed customs. Customs is usually only done on the first port of entry. This doesn't mean the package can't still be held somewhere between there and your door, but if anyone gets an iPad early, more power to them.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
Spoke with my local UPS guy. A supervisor. Not through the 800 number. Very well acquainted with the upcoming iPad deliveries. He's always been straight with me before.

Are you sitting down?

He states that the current shipment of iPad's is scheduled to begin delivery on Friday, April 2nd, then Sat., and finally Monday.

Woot!

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

ipadking said:

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 03/30/2010 4:29 P.M. BROKERAGE RELEASED SHIPMENT. SHIPMENT IS SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY FOR FURTHER CLEARANCE

No it's not. That's a message from the KY office about paperwork. The next item you'll see is a departure scan in China, then an arrival in Alaska.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Last year for the iPhone 3GS pre-orders, everyone who thought it was arriving early ended up getting this exception message:

LOUISVILLE, KY, US 06/17/2009 4:00 A.M. THE PACKAGE IS BEING HELD FOR FUTURE DELIVERY. UPS WILL ATTEMPT DELIVERY ON THE DATE REQUESTED

and then they held it for 2 days.

I'd expect everyone will be seeing something similar soon.

Muhr

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2010
Unless you live inside a warehouse in Louisville Kentucky, you will not receive your device before Saturday.

Over the next three days, shipments will be arriving daily from China, they will make the trip down to Kentucky where suddenly they will get the same treatment that the Iphone 3GS's got last year.

504x_iphonetracking.jpg

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Apple has it setup as a "special shipment" so everyone will get them on the 3rd. The tracking will show it's at your local terminal but or out for shipment a day or two early but they (the shipper) has an agreement with Apple to deliver on a specific day. This happened on the 3G and the 3GS.

My 3G showed it was "out for delivery" the day before it released but never showed until the proper day. Sure their maybe a slip up here or there, but 99.9% of them will end up on your doorstep April 3rd.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Farmingdale, NY

Showed Farmingdale, NY until I called and a few minutes later UPS tracking showed anchorage, AK.

Really was hoping mine slipped by somehow! Guess I'm a fool. :)

Hrm, makes me think a lot of my assumptions about UPS works behind the scenes are wrong.

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
How could it be otherwise with all the folks like me who printed out a pre sign to be pasted on your front door the day of delivery?
Too many people would be pissed off if they tried to deliver early, and they hadn't put up the release earlier.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Erm... if the 3rd is a Saturday, does UPS even deliver on Saturday?

Of course they do. Majority of the shippers does delivery on Saturday for certain packages and this is one of those packages. All paid by Apple.

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010

Yup! Same... But apple forgot to put my address on the box! I am mad at them.. All could have been avoided with FedEx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.