UPS systems will be so messed up this thursday and friday

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Juicy D. Links, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

Bet ya anything due to everyone reloading the tracking screen and so on .....

:confused:

2. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's why I prefer & only order through companies that ship FedEx.

If its UPS they don't deliver till 7PM, and their tracking is not as granular, accurate & updated as frequently as FedEx.

I get FedEx at approx 9:50AM +/- 10 min. It's amazing.

4. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

No problems last year.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

no they won't.

Their backend will be unaffected; i doubt this increase their global yearly traffic by anymore than .001%.

The front end webservers that fetch our tracking status from the main DBs are probably at like .0001% utilization right now and will go up to around 2-1.5% or something stupid low on thursday and friday, since it takes a short few miliseconds to read and display the db entries, no modification of the tables required.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

They process millions of packages per day. This isn't going to shut them down. I'll bet you your phone.

7. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

pshh they can handle it. It will be no worse than the few days before christmas.

8. Juicy D. Links thread starter macrumors 6502

They had some issues from what I recall not apple related , where information was lagging as in posting much later than the actual time... or was that FedEx?...hmmm cant recall

You guys prob right this will prob not even hurt em that much

9. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

My UPS gets to my house at about 1. It all depends on the route. They ALL do businesses first, then residential. It has nothing to do with the company, and everything to do with where ur delivery address is compared to the route. Some people will get their UPS at 10am.

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm not gonna lie, being IT minded I enjoy seeing a little chaos for popular launches like this. That's why for our iPhone launches I enter the frey and contribute to the hive, pushing Apple et al servers to their absolute limit .

But as mentioned UPS and Co see volume like this all the time. The drivers might have a slightly increased load but keep in mind there are plenty of trucks out there on the move daily.

11. Juicy D. Links thread starter macrumors 6502

is that Fedex Express or Ground???????/

12. antifeik macrumors regular

antifeik

I second that, them people are the biggest shipping company in the world,saw that in msnbc:p

13. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Yeah I also usually get FedEx first thing in the morning and UPS in the evening. It's frustrating.

14. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

This is absolutely nothing compared to the holiday season. This week will be fine.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

FedEx International from China.

When shipped point to point in the USA, I specify FedEx Express Air, overnight. That's guaranteed to deliver before 10:30 AM.

16. rnizlek macrumors 6502

I concur with those above, UPS will be unaffected. I also disagree that FedEx provides better tracking. UPS tracking scans show every movement of the package - every time the aircraft that your package is on takes off or lands. FedEx is much more selective about what they show. Many times my FedEx packages don't show out for delivery until hours after they are with the delivery driver, and routinely do not show all the stops the package makes. For example, I routinely see packages with scans that go from X -> Memphis -> Burlington. There's no flight from Memphis to Burlington - all packages have to make an intermediate stop in either Newark or Syracuse - but FedEx doesn't show it. UPS will show that level of detail in their tracking, and the tracking is automatically updated when their aircraft report wheels up/wheels down.

I'm not knocking FedEx Express as a delivery company (I think they do a fine job), but I've found that on the technical/tracking end UPS has the upper hand. Just my experience.

----------

Yes, but the UPS service that Apple has selected will be delivered in the morning.

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes there were delays last year for the iPhone 4S launch.

Tracking status was delayed and many orders were showing still in Anchorage, AK while they were on the local truck on the way to deliveries.

Mine stopped updating before they showed "Out for Delivery".. :eek:

I had two orders last year: 1 Apple and 1 AT&T Premier. Both were shipped via UPS. The AT&T order arrived just before 10:30 AM and the Apple order arrived just after 3:30 PM. Same carrier, different truck / driver.

Dave

18. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I've been per-ordering Apple stuff since the gen1 iPod. UPS has never had any major problems. They know how to handle large volume.