Upset Louisiana Fishermen Plan to Burn British Flags at BP Protest

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MBP13, May 12, 2011.

1. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20110512/HURBLOG/110519790/1223?Title=British-flags-to-be-burned-at-BP-protest

I'm personally disgusted that American individuals would disrespect the British flag because of the treatment that British Petroleum, as if Brittan is to blame for this.

All hell would break loose if American flags were planned to be smeared with oil and burned. It's just as wrong to burn another country's flag.

All of this is taking place in my area of southern Lousiana. It's pathetic and sad..

2. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Yeah because burning a nation's flag is just the right way to get them to help you! What a dick! And since when did a country's goverment become responsible for the practices of private companies?

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Reading the article its easy to see that the organizers of this protest are definitely not intelligent.

As for the burning of a flag, who cares. Its a piece of cloth, just an object. Getting caught up in the symbolism of what a particular flag stands for only gives the protesters the reaction they want.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

The company isn't even called British Petroleum, it changed to BP in 1998 when it merged with the US company Amaco, so why don't they burn the America flag too?

As they associate the nationality of the company with it's former names they could burn the Iranian flag too as the company used to be called the Anglo Iranian Oil Company. :rolleyes:

Indeed. :)

5. bayou1000 macrumors newbie

Isn't the largest shareholder JPMorgan Chase, and UK holds only a minority of ownership.

BP does not stand for anything other than BP, since the name change.

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Yeah, that's what most people miss. It's not like the UK government sent BP out and told them to spill oil. It's BP's fault.

I don't care if they want to burn flags. In general, I don't think we British have such a strong attachment to flags compared to Americans. Go nuts, it's just a flag.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think it's a bit odd that they would choose to burn a British flag considering 1) it's a private company 2) it's not exactly British (don't the Americans own most of it now?) 3) what nationality was the platform itself, who built it, who was manning it at the time?

But also it's just a flag. I'm British and I honestly don't care if someone else burns any flag or religious book. I don't hate my country - infact I love it here. But I just don't see the problem with burning/stepping on/eating a flag.

8. remmy macrumors 6502a

The only thing it does do is gives me a negative feeling about americans. again

9. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I can't believe they refer to themselves as the Taliban.

10. OllyW, May 13, 2011
    Last edited: May 13, 2011

OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's only a bit of cloth, it's not like it's sacred.

Anarchy.jpg

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Stand in line. Everyone else in the world has negative feelings about Americans.

You shouldn't let the actions of a few sour yourselves on the rest of us.

12. remmy macrumors 6502a

I know, when ever I very rarely meet someone from the US they seem nice and polite, like the majority of people in the world. I guess your media and political 'elite' are partially to blame.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

14. Nathaniell macrumors newbie

Americans love burning flags. Doesn't matter who's, but it makes 'em feel better. They're complaining about polluting the ocean so they pollute the air instead.

Lame.

15. Psychomacuser macrumors member

American Flag burning - I endorse since this country is no longer America as we know.

I've burned about 30 of them in protest against the totalitarian government we now have in place. I do hate Obama and I also hate anything GOP or any one that supports high food prices and gas.. AMerica has lost my interest.. I'd rather fly the hammer and sickle as a PROTEST that one day a NEW AMERICAN revolution will take place - a day when the American people will take back their country from CORPORATE RULE(totalitarian nazi rule).

America was never a Plutocracy and neither was this stupid government we now have in place.. Down with corporate rule and down with the REPUBLICAN PARTY!

16. Psychomacuser macrumors member

I agree.. I don't see why Americans should be upset if they burn their flag? I have burned 30 of them and I don't even fear the Totalitarian PRO-CORPORATE government here.. in fact, I am not even scared of them since one day their rule of plutocratic draconianism will come to an end. I also want to see Obama gone as he is responsible for carrying out Bush's regime and making America the MOST HATED country in the world..

As for Bernancke and Geitner = they should be SHOT AND KILLED for bringing this country down to its knees and making all of us pay for their mistakes.