Upstate Homeowner Arrested After Shooting Burglars Dead

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 29, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://patch.com/new-york/across-n...QgKj_yJyNhbnvdXdgh-2aDa5IAKaLvUPOcDvGdUUsgqgg
    well, judged by 12 is still better than buried by 6

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'd love to hear about how the hand gun was "illegally owned"?

3. chown33, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019

chown33 macrumors 604

New York State requires a license / permit for any handgun:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_New_York#Handgun_licensing

If the homeowner lacked that license / permit for the handgun, it would be "illegally owned" under NYS law.

Since the article linked in the OP doesn't give a reason for saying the handgun was illegally owned, this is speculative, and could be wrong.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Let us see what the facts ultimately are, but note this tweet from the story quoted by OP:

DOUBLE FATAL shooting in Deerfield this afternoon. NYSP: 1 male & 1 female are deceased. The pair knocked on the door/rang doorbell of 6110 Walker Rd. Occupant of home being questioned & treated as witness at this time. Female died at scene. Male died at St. E's hospital pic.twitter.com/XDQj13YtHu
    — Ben Dennis (@broadcastben_) May 28, 2019

So, there is a chance this was not a burglary.

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

We must also wait to see what irrelevant facts the news peppers the story with, like “former alter boy”, “father of 2”, and “convicted drunk driver”.

6. LordVic macrumors 603

If the homeowner truly believed that his life was on the line, than I have no issues with his use of deadly force to protect himself and those he loves.

Does not excuse owning an illegal gun in the house. Give the guy some community service, or a small fine and call it a day.

However, this is an emerging story. so, likely more involved than simply that.

7. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

This happened a few miles from me. I'm anxious to hear the facts.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Yea, the age of the female had my spidey senses tingling.

9. tshrimp, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Facing charges over paperwork. Ridiculous.

11. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Read this the day it happened. Absolutely ludicrous no matter what side of the firearm fence you're on. NY and NJ, perfect together for penalizing law abiding citizens and walking all over rights guaranteed to them by the 2nd amendment. Thank God I live in PA.

12. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

I thank God you do too.

13. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

The law is the law. If 2nd amendment rights are rights no matter what then anyone released from prison for any charge should have the same right to own a gun, just like some argue voting should be a right afforded to any U.S. citizen. I personally am not ok with an all or nothing deal like that, just like some don't feel a felon should vote. Personally, I think of the constitution as fluid if laws are passed.... hell, most politicians do too, they cite it when it suits them and ignore it when it doesn't.

At any rate, I'm interested in the whole story, but if this was a burglary attempt, they got what they had coming, proper paperwork or not.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

2 innocents murdered by gun-totting grandpa?
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2019 ---
    Killing people isn't innocent. If this was England then the perp would be doing 20.

15. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Smh. However, this is America where you have a right to defend yourself from anyone breaking in.

If the victim is in trouble over “paperwork” fine him, have him do a background, register the firearm and move on.

16. pl1984 macrumors 68020

Or laying six feet underground.

17. Tech198 macrumors G5

and if the gun was "legally owned" i bet the outcome may have been different as well.

Shame its ONLY in America. There are some good after all.. even if its causes the trouble.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Who knows without details ...... but a 57 year old women matched with a 27 year old man, trespassing in someone's home together, just doesn't sound right. If it turns out they are junkies, then it's much more plausible.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2019 ---
    I disagree.

You have to regard a complete stranger trespassing in your home, as someone capable of doing the worst to you or your family. You also have to factor that they might have weapons too. This is NOT the time to be nice or civilized.

Now I'm not saying shooting/killing intruders should be the rule of thumb. But you can't expect a rational judgement of character towards the intruder, when that intruder has you frightened and defensive for invading your sanctuary. And it's especially worst when it's multiple intruders.

This would probably be one of the few moments you have a right to stereotype. As a gun owner, I myself would probably not shoot some 12 year old that snuck into my home. But if a 6'9 345lbs grown man sneaks into my home, you think I'm not going to shoot first and ask questions later? I'm not taking that risk!!!

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

'Criminal history' could mean anything. Let us see what that history is and whether it had anything to do regarding the events on the day.
    --- Post Merged, May 30, 2019 ---
    Where is the evidence they broke in? Again the facts are not clear yet - or have I missed something?

20. raqball macrumors 68000

Or not...................

Looks like they had hit the home before...

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 9.29.09 AM.png

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sounds pretty damning of the two who got killed if true. Still, the question is whether the guy shot them because his life was actually in danger. Let's see what evidence becomes available.

22. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

"Yes judge, that's right. I feared that my life would end if they took my toaster-oven.".

The American obsession with guns is truly unbelievable to most of the rest of the world.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Unless you're a mind reader, you don't really know if the people inside your house, who are willing to go to jail for it, are there for a toaster or for a rape/killing/whatever. You also have no way to know if they have a gun, knife, sword, or if they are trained MMA fighters ready to strangle you to death.
    So yes, if you break inside someone else's property, that someone has certainly the right to feel threatened.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the obsession of people outside the US to simply let home invaders do as they wish is unbelievable to CONSERVATIVE Americans.........