Uptime

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
Anyone care to go on a reboot-strike with me? I am at 5 days uptime. I want to see how long I can go. You can go to the terminal in OS X and type "uptime" (without the quotes) and it will tell you how longs it's been.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Buffy's bedroom
Last time there was an 'uptime' thread I tried to go on a reboot strike. I got to 10 days and then couldn't help but install the updates that were staring at me lustfully from the Software Update control panel (which required a restart).

I'll happily gon a reboot strike with you, as long as I can un-strike when a new update comes out :)

Even though I chose to reboot after 10 days, I still feel more than comfortable knowing that I can easily out-uptime any windoze user.

Comment

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Its hard because I install every update there is out there and I usually can't make 3-4 days
But when I get my new imac I'll try

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm not running OSX on my G4 tower, other wise I'd be in. Its been going for about 3 weeks now. My TiPB gets shutdown everyday.

Comment

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
My father has a Firewire Powerbook G3 at 400MHz running OS 9.0.4, which he almost NEVER restarts. The last time it had to be restarted was when he installed the Airport software, which was around three weeks ago.

Usually my father goes months on end without restarting the PB, but he does put it to sleep and recharge it often.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

Comment

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2001
Okay, i am feeling a little stupid. I kicked the power cord and goodbye uptime experiment. Ouch. In a strange way it feels good to know that I am the weak link in my computer. I spent far too many hours dealing with "Not Responding" messages, getting the BSOD, or just giving my pc the 3 finger salute.

I restart today. First day of uptime, I will keep y'all posted right here.

PS I am using OmniWeb and rather like it. Much cleaner look and it even spell checks my posts.

Comment

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
As the starter of the previous "Uptime" thread I am more than glad to join the reboot strike...
I am at 15 days, 5 hours, 14 minutes and counting...

I posted this in the other thread, but I think the example really drives the point home.

My coworker was doing this exact experiment...no reboots/shutdowns/updates...he was at 50 days and counting as of Friday when we got hit by a power outage...bye bye uptime...:(

OS X is more stable than the power supply at the second largest university in California!!!

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: why?

Originally posted by idkew
my ti only gets shut on updates. i take it everywhere with me and it only sleeps.
So I did that this morning. I hadn't really thought it through before and it definitely makes getting started much quicker.

One question though. If the battery dies and its goes into sleep mode, how long will it stay that way until I replace the battery or plug it in?

Comment

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
It sucks I have to reboot evrytime I sleep
my computer cause my internet connecttion stuffs up after I sleep it
It Telstra bigpond what do you expect

Comment

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: why?

Originally posted by dukestreet
One question though. If the battery dies and its goes into sleep mode, how long will it stay that way until I replace the battery or plug it in?
Usually mine comes on at about 5% or less...when it sleeps it barely consumes any energy, so you might have as long as 8 hours to find a power source...

Comment

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: Re: why?

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
when it sleeps it barely consumes any energy
I've actually swiched batteries while in sleep mode and it saved the settings and screen info when I woke it up. I was worried at first with it not having any power at all, but I'm now wondering how it does this. When everything is disconnected does it still have some power in an internal battery that saves the CPU state at sleep time?

Very cool none the less.

Comment

sevag1

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2001
i would keep my computer on for more than one day.. but whenever it goes to sleep, it disconnects my internet, which is very annyoing when i have aim and irc and other internet apps open while its on sleep..

Comment

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'll join, when I get my next tower. I have gotten into the routine of shutting down my TiBook every night when I am finished, and then just powering it up the next day. I never really have any issue with the time it takes to come up, since I am usually just getting home when I do that, and have to make some dinnah first.

If it wasn't for the heat issue, I would be more inclined to leave it running. Oh yeah, and I only have the screensave go active after 10 minutes of no activity. I found that it is much happier if I don't have the drive spin down, or do any processor speed cycling. Makes the wake from screensaver happen in an instant.

I just hope something gets released incredible at MWNY and I am able to afford buying it. I would love a G5, but would take a GHz+ single processor G4 as well. Top it all off with a Radeon 8500 (either 64MB or 128MB) and I will be rushing to get one. With there being three Apple retail locations under 1-1/2 hours from me, I am fairly certain that I could get one fast enough. :D

Comment

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Doh!

I had a 17 day streak going. Then my screensaver came on and wouldn't go off. I tried flippin' everything to no avail. This has happened once before too.

Sure, the computer is still running and I can see it over the network. But a computer with no user interface whatsoever is not exactly very useful.

Grrrr...

Matthew

Comment

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I'd join if I didn't need to startup in 9.2 sometimes...

I know my uptime would be killer since I keep my TiBook asleep while I'm away from it...

unfortunately I need to every now & then to do work & occasionally crash... :rolleyes:

Comment

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Doh!

Originally posted by Taft
I had a 17 day streak going. Then my screensaver came on and wouldn't go off. I tried flippin' everything to no avail. This has happened once before too.

Sure, the computer is still running and I can see it over the network. But a computer with no user interface whatsoever is not exactly very useful.

Grrrr...

Matthew
In the immortal words of the seer Nelson... Haa haaaaa!!!

ROTFLMAO!!

Sorry, couldn't resit the "Doh!"

Comment

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I always shut down my TiBook at the end of each working day, and start up first thing the next day.....

Magic.

Comment

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by iGAV
I always shut down my TiBook at the end of each working day, and start up first thing the next day.....

Magic.
I used to shut mine down as well...but then I figured the system does absolutely nothing while asleep and is safe (provided no power problems & such)...I do, however, shut it down and unplug everything when I know there will be bad weather while I'm away...

less strain on the system itself to wake-up than to startup up consistently as far as I'm concerned...

Comment

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: Re: Re: why?

Originally posted by Rower_CPU

when it sleeps it barely consumes any energy
i find the exact opposite to be true of my iBook, and i have no idea why. it can go to sleep on a full battery at night, and ten hours later be down to 40-45%. what's that all about?!

Comment

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Re: Re: Re: Re: why?

Originally posted by cleo

i find the exact opposite to be true of my iBook, and i have no idea why. it can go to sleep on a full battery at night, and ten hours later be down to 40-45%. what's that all about?!
Lets see... 10 hours of running, using about 5.5% to 6% battery charge per hour... that seems pretty damned little to me. Granted, I always shut mine down when I am done with it. Especially if I am going anywhere with it. The shock tolerances for the system when it is powered off is significantly higher then when it has power (even in sleep mode).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.