Urban Onshoring: The Movement to Bring Techjobs Back to America

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VI™, Nov 5, 2014.

1. VI™ macrumors 6502a

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/urban-onshoring/

Here’s a pretty interesting article on Wired about two companies bringing entry level tech jobs to the Bronx. I think it’s a good idea if people can manage to do this because it does two fold, it provides a potentially better product for the client via communication and providing feedback of their target audience and provides higher than minimum wage (currently, unless I’m mistaken and it’s over $12.00 an hour there now) jobs to a community where people would be immensely benefitted from that kind of money.

In fact, it’s such a good idea, in my opinion, that I thought it would be awesome if a company like that started in my town.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My Mom's family is from West Virginia (near Elkins) so I've visited quite a bit. Recently went to Southern WVa doing ancestry research for my wife. Is it fair to say the State is economically depressed? That's my impression. so those types of jobs would be especially valued there, besides everywhere. ;)

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Ecocomic patriotism. If it doesn't come naturally, then it should come thru legislation.

4. VI™ thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't necessarily agree with that, but a company that can provide a better service than an overseas company that doesn't take highly skilled workers is a good thing. Even though it costs more, there's a value in that they can provide certain things an overseas company could not.

----------

The Eastern part of the state outside of the few major cities like Charleston, Morgantown, and maybe Wheeling really could use some help. The Eastern Panhandle is doing pretty good though, but that's because we're more MD or VA than WV as far as economics go.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Just bring more Indians here and pay them sub-market wages.

6. localoid, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

The largest challenge with trying to bring "high tech" into economically depressed areas is the lack of the necessary educational and social infrastructure that needed to properly foster and support the industry.

West Virginia's chronic "joblessness" problems are largely due to lack of economic diversity, e.g., historically most jobs/businesses were in coal mining or coal mining related (such as the railroads, mine machine repair/manufacturing, etc.), or the manufacturing industries that located in the state usually did so because of the abundance of cheap a energy source locally (primarily coal.)

Northern and Central W.Va. have historically been more economically diverse area, and so today you'll find most of the state "high tech" jobs located in the Central/Northern regions, which is were you'll also find most of the better technical schools, colleges, etc. that are needed to support and maintain those types of "high tech" industries.

On the other hand, historically, Southern W.Va. has been almost totally devoid of economic diversification, and today, there are extremely few "technology related" firms located anywhere in Southern W.Va. And unfortunately, the education systems needed to fully support a wide range of tech-related enterprises are few and far between.

I started a Internet related business about 20 years ago in Southern W.Va. and soon found out that I couldn't count on being able to recruit employees from the region. The schools just don't teach people to be creative and the persons in-charge don't understand why fostering/teaching creativity is important. When I've needed something done and needed new employees, I've gone with contract workers located in other regions of the country/world.

If some company contacted W.Va.'s educational/economic-development officials and said they wanted to start up a new company that would employ 200-300 people in a high-tech industry, the state would get off its lazy ass and do something to help that happen. But if someone contacts the state officials and say they want to employ 25-50 workers, the state won't be inclined to do much of anything to help. If you say you want to hire two people, and grow the business to 10 within a year, they'll just laugh at you. W.Va. is looking for "quick fixes", and not interesting in doing the hard work that's required to support small business startups, and far to ignorant to see any potential benefit from helping technology-related small business enterprises to get started.

I get calls and quotes from Indian firms regularly. As much as I've love to hire locals, the "outsiders" can do the job I need, but the locals can't even understand what I'm talking about, that I need to be done, etc.

7. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Why? Because the U.S can't compete with other countries so the only way to keep jobs in the country is by forcing companies?

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty tough to compete when many Asian countries pay their workers pennies and have little or no environmental regulations.

9. Mousse, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The way to keep jobs in the US is by letting behemoth companies to collapse instead of propping them up with tax payer money(bailout) and ridiculous tax breaks. Let the small and mid-size companies have a chance to grow. THEY'RE the job makers. Corporate America is sending jobs overseas. Small business hire local talent.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Yes. Time for these companies who benefit from being American put America First by hiring Americans.