URGENT 1 week left of warranty + broken Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pirate pete, Jun 14, 2008.

1. pirate pete macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I have a black Macbook 2.16ghz core 2 duo, 160gb HDD, 2x1gb (upgraded from the original 2x512mb sticks that I bought it with).

So, here is my problem. Last night, I was using my macbook at a friends house, everything was fine. Then suddenly, web browser crashed, I tried to force quit but I couldn't get the 'apple' menu up - and other programs were now crashed - the whole machine had effectively frozen.

The Macbook started making clicking noises from what sounded like the top right corner of the keyboard (but which I have now realised is actually the HDD)

So anyway, I held the power button down to turn off, left it off for about five minutes. I then restarted and I got the usual hardware chime followed up by the apple symbol and the rotating progress bar.

It stayed like that for about 3 minutes when, surprise surprise, I got the question mark folder icon - which I have never seen before, but knew it meant HDD problem.

Anyway, I've reseated the hard drive, attempted booting with mac os x installation CDs (the Tiger ones that came with my macbook) and when it asks where the installation should go I have no hard drive - just network boot and the tiger CD icons in disk utility (when booting from the CD).

So now, on boot, the clicking and squeaking noises are still there (coming from the HDD) and the question mark folder icon is still up. Everything is saying dead HDD right?

Well, here is the rub, I bought this macbook on the 20th June 2007 - that means I have until Friday for the repairs warranty, and I have not renewed applecare.

I am prepared to buy more applecare for 199GBP considering the tight time frame I have here. However, I am wondering if this is possible - does buying applecare from the applesite require a working macbook to install and register on?

What is the best course of action here...?

Thanks guys, I'm really freaking out a bit.

UPDATE: Having just searched a bit more around this forum and others I got through to an apple site page where I could check my warranty - this is what i got.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Hey, Pete. I feel your pain. I really do recommend you go ahead and get the Applecare coverage. You do not need to register it FROM the Macbook you're using it for. You can log in to the Apple website from any computer and enter the Applecare registration information.

But the eligibility for Applecare IS exactly one year from the date of purchase so you should get it ASAP.

In the meantime you could call Apple and schedule a repair. The Macbook is already covered under the one year limited warranty so they can get started on that. There is no need to wait.

Best of luck!

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you phone them with the problem now, they will fix it under AppleCare even after the warranty is over, if you explain that you are unable to get it to them in the next few days.

4. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Hey I was going to say all that!, sound advice;)

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

It appears you already have applecare based on that message (2010).

6. Henri Gaudier macrumors 6502a

Henri Gaudier

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yeah you must have bought AppleCare if it says under warranty until 2010.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

There's something extremely rotten in Denmark. Are you sure you didn't make a typo and the site reported coverage until June 19th, 2008?

Because it clearly states "under Apple's Limited Warranty" which is the one year warranty and not Applecare. Another reason it cannot be Applecare is that it also states no complimentary phone support which means it is past the 90 days on the one year warranty. Applecare extends the phone coverage for a full 3 years.

Sorry, but that has to be a typo. There is no way that can be possible as June 19th, 2010 is over a year from now and the rest of that clearly indicates a limited warranty which is one year only.

You also wouldn't be seeing that advice to buy or apply Applecare at the bottom if it was already registered under the coverage.

9. pirate pete thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for the replies guys - it means alot.

With regard to that clipping, it is definitely not a typo - I just tried again and the same message came up...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know I have not got applecare - after the 3 months, an applecare sales person called me up and tried to persuade me for a good 30 minutes before I said no to it.

Surely, as it is a 'limited warranty' and there is no more phone support that is just default apple policy to not leave their customers entirely alone....

In the mean time, I'm thinking I will go ahead and extend the real applecare coverage by 3 years before it runs out and wait until my exams are finished in two weeks before sending for repairs - I could do without the hassle in this period...is extending applecare literally a case of registering and paying online? There is nothing they need to send you, correct?

The HDD is definitely completely dead - just tried knoppix and it can't detect it either.

Thanks again for the support, please keep any suggestions about the strange warranty issue coming, as my wits are diseased over it.

Pete

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you a student? Students get 3 years of warranty cover for free.

11. pirate pete thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! I did not know that. :eek:

Yes, I am a student - and I bought my macbook last summer with a student discount...although they never told me the warranty was 3 years instead of 1.

I think that must explain it though. That is a huge weight off my mind.

As I need to get a repair carried out still, I think I will just wait until after my exams - I was so worried about running out of time for it.

Thanks for all the help guys - you've been the best community of 3 mac forums...I'll definitely spend more time here than other places in the future.

With gratitude to all, Pete

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Whoa! I didn't know that either! :eek:

Is that a UK-only deal?? I bought my iMac on an educational discount from the Apple online store here in Japan (I'm a teacher). I know I didn't get but the one year limited warranty. I went ahead and purchased Applecare for the full 3 years.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Its UK only and only applies to the full HE Discount. It also makes full AppleCare only £50+VAT when you buy it.

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind the next time I'm giving advice to students in the UK. ;)