Urgent- feedback from rmbp users who have had screens replaced with samsung- advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bkribbs, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bkribbs, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

bkribbs macrumors 65816

My rMBP is in the shop to get the Samsung display in for my LG which had minor IR.

I keep hearing how yellow the samsung displays are when they come back.

Do people get them that are happy with them, and would notice if the coloring is off? As in, are there some good installs?

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my order because even with the IR the LG had a beautiful screen, I don't want an off-color one.

2. alyshehata macrumors member

I just got my Samsung replaced with another Samsung. The new samsung was so yellow I couldn't take it. I took it back to the genius bar. It was 10 days before my warranty ends.

He goes to the back, brings me a sealed new retina and gives it to me. 1 more year of warranty and a brand new laptop that has an LG screen but so far no IR. To be honest, I'm not going to test it for IR, because the screen is gorgeous as it is.

But yeah, best customer service I've had so far.

3. ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

I just posted this to another thread, but maybe it can help you as well:

This post has a great color profile for Samsung retina screens. I'm quite happy with how it looks, and I'd rather have the Samsung screen with no IR than the "gorgeous" LG screen with really bad IR. That's my opinion, anyway.

Good luck!

4. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

5. CHMK macrumors regular

i will say this: i got my lg replaced with a samsung, and yes it looks more 'yellow' if u could call it that. i think of it as less pink, as i thought the lg was really... pink.

really it looks great, and i cant tell a difference. i only notice a slight yellowish tint if i view my laptop from 2 feet away.

----------

actually scratch that- no yellow tint. it looks more accurate inmy opinion, and 1 week after replacing it i cant tell a difference. in my opinionthis screen is perfect and the absence of a looming threat of IR is a huge plus...

6. bkribbs, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok thanks... (still interested to hear others)

Just really nervous I'll loose my pretty LG screen and end up with some s*** screen that I don't like.

7. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

My screen was an LG at first, developed major IR in 3 months, dropped it off at Apple and had it replaced with a Samsung screen. Yes, it was yellow but I found a color profile that a user shared here and now I think my display looks gorgeous. The whites are blue-ish but that's how I like it.

Here it is. Credits to whoever shared it first.

--EDIT--

Just noticed that the profile is exactly the one ajanini shared above.

8. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok so when I get it I will attempt not to freak if it is yellow and will try the profile.

Thanks for feedback so far.

Anyone else?

9. CHMK macrumors regular

true but then every things an upgrade from image retention. besides i personally prefer the samsung screen in terms of colour. theres no bleeding and it looks more realistic, more saturated.

10. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

I only have minor retention at the moment but I heard it gets worse. As long as it isn't bad color I'm ok with it.

11. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

12. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

I had my retina replaced under the 14 day period due to a hardware issue the one i had and the one i got in replacement both have the samsung screen with a yellow tinge a bit of fiddling with the calibration made the screen look perfect. Been a month since i am using it no ir or dead pixels as yet(not even testing for it)

13. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok good to know. anyone else?

Looking for reassurment I guess

14. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Dude, everyone answering said the same. That's enough reassurance, I guess.

15. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry for being nervous about whether or not I'll like my $2,200 computer when I get it back.

16. walkie, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

walkie macrumors 6502

I had replaced my rMBP's LCD from LG to Samsung and was yellowish at first then I calibrated it myself and everything went back to normal, I feel Samsung's colours are more warmer (without being yellowish) whereas LG's tend to look more blueish, but both are ok, you only need to calibrate them to make them look right. When calibrating my Samsung LCD I compared it to my iMac's screen and neither of them looked more yellowish than the other, they looked almost the same…

this is what I did: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1583158

I highly recommend when calibrating you have another screen to compare to since the process can be tricky and you can end up calibrating more blueish than normal because the screen was too much yellow at first.

hope it helps...

17. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Lol, that doesn't justify that you're still asking after several people said the same. It's like a survey. The answers some people give represent the results you'll get. 100% of the users who answered said the same.. are you still expecting that one will say that his screen was perfect? And what if someone does? Will it make a difference? You're still getting the same screen.

18. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you very much!

First- no one is making you read this thread. Feel free to see the title, my name, and move on.

Second:
    Please see this, where someone had a different answer.

Finally:

You're right, I can't request a different screen. But I could call and tell them not to do the work, as the part is being ordered. My laptop has just been chilling in the corner of the room somewhere until it gets there. So yes, it could matter.

19. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Lol he is obviously a little more nervous than most consumers. No need to question his actions. Just recognize it, and move on. If I were in his situation, I would certainly be nervous too, but I am more of a retroactive kind of person. Good for him for trying to be proactive

20. dastinger, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I understand his concerns. I don't understand why more answers are needed. Let's see how this goes IRL:

OP gets the screen -> finds it yellow-ish -> calibrates -> done
    OP gets the screen -> finds it yellow-ish -> calibrates -> fails at it -> goes to the Apple Store -> asks for a replacement
    OP gets the screen -> finds it perfect -> YAY

OP will be proactive when he actually gets the screen and does something after considering what he thinks of it when he looks at it.

--EDIT--

But just keep on asking if that makes you feel better. I was just pointing out something obvious but you took it the wrong way. Keep it up :)

21. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

See that would be ok if all those options were feasible. But after these next 5 days, I will literally not be able to get to an apple store for 5 months. So if I get a yellow one that cannot be fixed, I will be unhappy for 5 months. That's my problem. If there was an apple store right by my campus, I would have no problem with taking it back to them several times until they get it right. But I would have to mail my laptop away and not have a computer for at least a week during school, which is kind of a problem.

Not everyone has the same circumstances either.

22. lianlua macrumors 6502

You can't be proactive about something you have no control over. It's like worrying if it's going to rain when you left your windows down but can't get to your car.

All the statistics in the world aren't going to change whether it's going to rain or not.
    So your options are (1) cancel the repair and definitely be unhappy for 5 months or (2) accept some remote possibility that the replacement display will be defective and that you have some non-zero chance of being unhappy for 5 months.

It's pretty obvious. Relax and deal with the problem in the unlikely event that you have one. The energy you've spent worrying about it so far has been entirely unproductive.

23. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Call a friend and have them put a tarp over the car. Or have them use a spare key. There's more then one option sometimes.

1- minor IR means I wasn't super unhappy
    2- fair enough

I disagree though. I was fairly worried (obviously) when I made this thread, and I'm now much more relaxed about how my laptop will come out. So while you and others choose to read this thread and be annoyed by it, it has actually helped me.

24. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

There is definitely a lot more that you can do in almost every situation, then you may realize. Sitting back, and wondering if you can do something without action is what leads to unhappy results; that you never bothered to prevent. Those who get what they want aren't the ones who sit there and let "chance" provide them their answer. The ones who complain and speak up are the ones who getting what they want.

25. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I understand your nerves. (They're not cheap compeers) I was in the same situation. My wife and I both have rMBPs purchased last year. Both came out of the box with LG displays. Mine developed IR in about 3 months---had it replaced, it's now a Sammy and it looks wonderful, out of the box---it was top notch, with calibration, it's damn near as accurate as my Eizo CG276. Fantastic display, no issues since replacement 7 months ago. My wife's LG has been issue free and without any IR, period. Bizarre the differences in the two out of the box....but IMHO---they're both pretty darn close to each other...and 'yellow' isn't the word I'd use for the Samsung displays... 'warmer' describes it's attributes better than 'yellow'. In fact, it's (mine was) closer to 6500º K than my LG...as well, more accurate than either my iPad 4 or iPhone 5 (both a bit bluer...or 'cooler')

Don't cancel your repair. You don't have to go to an Apple store for support. Especially if it's your 'third' repair to a new machine. Apple is extremely accommodating to folks that need help post purchase. They'll send you a form fitted box, label and the RMA info you need for return....all in the case you're not happy with the replacement. IF you decide to hang on the to LG---and the persistence was enough to bother you in the first place, you'll kick yourself for not following through with the replacement. I had no issues having mine replaced, nor have many others...but I've read SOME folks have had a 'manager' or a 'genius' deny the replacement due to the display being within 'spec'. If you've got them going on it....let it ride. If you're not happy with the replacement call Apple...and either have it fixed again, replaced or ask for a refund. I can't imagine any of the three being an issue OR an option...as I'm SURE you'll be happy with the repair. Apple knows about the problem. Take a look @ their support forum with almost (or maybe more than now) 500 pages discussing it. They've been primarily replacing the units with either the Sammy or second gen LG display. Most that have had the repair that I've heard or read about are happy with them

BTW---Hand's Down best computer I've owned in 25 years of buying, selling and building my own. It's fantastic!!! To have it for university will be stellar. Great choice, good luck, take a Valium....and let them do their magic. You'll be happy....if PayPal did donuts, I'd bet ya a baker's dozen;)
    J