URGENT How to make sure iPhone is clear of my Apple ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple111115, Sep 21, 2016.

1. apple111115 macrumors regular

So, long story short, I sell my iPhone every year and get the new one. I have done this for about five years with no problem. Anyways, I was setting up my new iPhone 7 Plus yesterday and was having issues so I decided to restore to factory settings and start over. When I plugged it in to iTunes it said that the phone was tied with my Apple ID and I needed the password to do stuff to the phone. This obviously wasn't an issue because it's my phone, but is this going to happen now to the person I sell my 6s Plus to? I factory cleared it and it is on the "Hello" set up screen. Will they be able to use it without my password? In hindsight I should have logged out of my apple id before clearing it....

Anyways I have to ship it out within the hour most likely so any help with this would be awesome. Thanks! :)

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You need to log out of Find My iPhone (turn it off) at a MINIMUM. Otherwise any new owner will have an iCloud Activation locked phone - a worthless paperweight for them.

3. apple111115 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Ghostbuster386 macrumors regular

Ghostbuster386

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's best to do it BEFORE you restore a phone.

But follow the above directions since you restored first.

6. apple111115 thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I actually just set it up again as a new iphone, signed in with all of my info, and then logged out from find my iphone, logged out of i cloud, and itunes.....now I can erase safely, right? Thanks guys! :)

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Right. No problem!