Urgent iOS 8 help needed. When someone calls either of the iPhones Both Phones Ring

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by rexone, Sep 21, 2014.

1. rexone, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014

rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    We have 2 iPhones (6 & 5s) and an iPad using the same Apple ID. All are running iOS8.

When someone calls either of the iPhones BOTH iPHONES RING!!!!

Yes, you read right, the same incoming call appears on BOTH iPhones at the same time.

This is obviously totally unacceptable not to mention useless.

Obviously both iPhones use the same account so that iCal & Contacts can be shared but sharing phone calls? Really Apple. Over-sharing much?

Really, please, I need some urgent help with this bug!!!!

iPhone 6, iOS 8 & iPhone 5s iOS8

2. Within Reason macrumors newbie

Within Reason

This is probably the continuity function at work rather than a bug... Look under the FaceTime settings, turn off allow Mobile calls. Does this work?

3. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

Settings > Facetime > Turn Off iPhone Cellular Calls

4. Within Reason macrumors newbie

Within Reason

It's "Settings > Facetime > iPhone Mobile Calls" for me. Your regional language may vary :)

5. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone, yes, just had a live chat with Apple & they filled me in on this feature.
    Seems that iOS8 is big on over-sharing with info on how to address this pretty thin on the ground.
    Don't recall seeing Apple mention anywhere that one of the settings in FaceTime will make all of your mobile phones ring at once when one receives a cellular phone call...

6. Within Reason macrumors newbie

Within Reason

It is weird how it's under FaceTime, and perhaps it shouldn't be on by default! Good news, anyway :)

7. Manatlt macrumors 6502a

Brilliant feature for me but I guess it's not for everyone.

8. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

The thing that made it for me was when I left my phone downstairs but my iPad next on on the desk starting ringing. I talked through the iPad until I got to my phone, unlocked and resumed on my phone without a hitch.

Also to the OP: 'hi, fellow north-shorer'.

9. rexone thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, look I get the feature & think it's potentially pretty useful but...
    a) - perhaps not having it set as 'On' by default would be a pretty good move
    b) - hiding it under FaceTime? Really? Why? It's a major setting, or series of settings I should say, which need their own heading or tab. I would not have even thought to look under FaceTime.
    c) - having some documentation somewhere that simply explains this feature & it's full ramification, i.e. - all of your frakin' devices will ring & go beep at once everywhere in your house, would probably be a nice move too.

And 'Hullo!' sammich, nice to know I'm not alone out here in the leafy wilderness ;)

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Putting each phone on a separate AppleID will solve all this (but you can still share the same AppleID for purchases so you don't have to buy apps twice).

That is what most do (this also eliminates the iMessage and FaceTime issues)