URGENT!!! macbook starts up to a blue screen ,I've tried everything nothing is workin

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by k3rizz3k, Aug 18, 2009.

1. k3rizz3k macrumors newbie

hi, I've had this macbook for about 3 years i don't have any warranty or anything the computer was bought in 2007 and came with tiger, i updated it to leopard last year and it has been working fine until about a week ago, it starts up to a bright blue screen and sometimes goes to a lighter blue screen, that lets you control the mouse, then to a black screen and then back to the blue screen i dont know what to do. help plzzz

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Have you tried booting from your osx install/recovery disk?

3. k3rizz3k thread starter macrumors newbie

yea but nothing comes up and it spits out the disk:confused: oh and the disk isn't scratched or anything

4. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Try booting it from the disk by turning it on with the disk in the drive and holding "C".

5. k3rizz3k thread starter macrumors newbie

that's what i'm doing when this happens, i can't find an explanation for it and before the screen came up it was doing fine, i've already reset pram and done everything in the mac support site
    oh and something else that might help find out what's wrong with it is that the battery is completely dead it won't charge or even light up the leds

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Might sound really obvious but have you tried resetting the SMC?

7. celticpride678

Have you tired holding down option during boot up, instead of "C" and selecting Mac OS X Install DVD?

8. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

So pushing the button on the battery won't light up the LEDs? The battery might be your problem then. Do the LEDs light up when you take the battery out and press the button?

9. k3rizz3k thread starter macrumors newbie

yup that too nothing seems to work

10. celticpride678

If it is, the OP can then plug the MagSafe in and remove the battery and see if that works.

11. k3rizz3k thread starter macrumors newbie

no, but the computer was working fine before and the battery was messed up then too, i really have to buy a new battery though. i was thinking of doing that later today

yup, it spits it out too

12. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

The battery might have packed in, try plugging the charger in with no battery.

13. celticpride678

If you cannot boot without the disc and even with the disc, it is something Apple must take care of, by setting up a Genius Appointment. That's really the only thing left.

14. k3rizz3k thread starter macrumors newbie

no same thing

15. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

This could be correct I'm afraid.

Have you tried getting the command line on bootup though? There's a way to get a verbose mode while the computer is booting so you can see any errors it throws up, then you can see what's happening. One last shot I guess.

16. k3rizz3k thread starter macrumors newbie

do i have to go to a mac store or can i just go to a reseller like best buy?
    the nearest mac store is 2 hours away by car

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm wondering about something... Could you supply more information about the laptop? Might help us.

Have you considered trying to bootup in safe mode? It might help with trouble shooting and eventually resolve your mysterious issue.

18. weckart macrumors 68040

Try booting up in single user mode by pressing Cmd+S at the boot chime.

You can try fsck -y to see if that clears where your install is sticking at the blue screen.

19. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Sounds like your install of OS X got screwed up and your DVD drive is malfunctioning. If you have an external DVD drive, try booting off of that.

20. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Yeah that's what I was thinking of, single user mode (I had forgot the name).

Also try safe mode as Ultra said.

21. k3rizz3k thread starter macrumors newbie

it won't startup in safe mode it did a safeboot but thats it, and it didnt' solve anything, i've also tried verbose mode and single user mode and did the fcsk thing and nothing still, i bought the laptop brand new in 2007 the battery died in 2008 in december and it started freezing up last week then it just wouldn't start up and its been like this for 3 days now, it's a white macbook with an isight, no third party ram and same HD it came with, only thing i've changed is the software, from tiger to leopard, and i don't think its the dvd drive, but ill try an external one

22. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

It sounds like you might have a bit of a lemon, it's weird for a battery to die so soon and certainly weird for it to freeze up and refuse to boot like it is now, and very weird to not boot from the disk and everything else.

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

How long ago did you install leopard? Recently? Are there any additional after-market utilities installed? Shapeshifter etc?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1541

24. k3rizz3k thread starter macrumors newbie

like 4 months ago and no not at all

25. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

When it comes on, is it at all possible to run the Apple Hardware Test at all? If not via the internal drive then the external one?