[URGENT] my iphone 5s took a dip in a bowel but it is still working !

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by techdumb, Jan 10, 2014.

1. techdumb macrumors newbie

first of all excuse my english it is not my first language .... and my iphone was bought by a friend who was in the US at the time of the release ( and we dont have an apple store in my country !! )

so yesterday my phone took a swim in a bowl filled with water .. I was so shocked it took me few seconds to take it out .... it was still working and I dried it and then I checked it (went to some app and opened safari and sunch) it was working GREAT but it was mute the sound only worked with the headphones

I googled how to deal with these situations and I found the rice trickso I did it but I have no patientce what so ever so I kept taking the iphone out and switching it on (and it worked) few times till the battery ran out
    I kept it in the rice over night (6 hours) and in the morning I charged it and it worked !! the sound got fixed too ....

my questions now

- I'm worried that after few days it will stop working
    - is it possible that the iphone didnt suffer any damage from the dip (please remebr it wasnt switched off immediately at all !! I used it for 30 minutes before I switched it off and even then I kept taking it out of the rice to test it)

- it is working fine and charging fine is there a chance it will "explode" and burn the wire (i read few people who had this happen)

- do I really need to put it in the rice for a week ?? it is now sitting in the rice but I have a strong urge to switch it on now !!!!

please answer my questions !! I will be so lost without my iphone

EDIT : aftter I charged it this morning I used it like normal (making phone calls and texting wit no issues )

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

It won't explode, but you really should consider putting it in an airtight bag of rice, or an airtight bag of Silica gel/packets. It has to be airtight - sitting it in a bowl will be useless (the less air in the bag the better)

However, since it's been ~24 hours (from your post, it seems anyway) you should be fine if you give it another day in one of the two options above.

3. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Leaving it in rice now won't do much good. It's possible that it will be fine, but by turning it on and using it, you've made it far more likely that it will see issues. Water damage with electronics isn't always immediate, and there is a very real possibility that you will see problems in the future.

Hopefully you got lucky. Next time, turn it off, put it in rice, and keep it off for days.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere