Urgent. Need to find way to get prepaid data on iPhone 4 in the US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mckvakk, Aug 28, 2011.

1. mckvakk macrumors regular

I'm leaving for London in 20minutes and then onwards to New York tomorrow morning, and i need a way to get data on my iPhone 4 when i get to NYC.

Last year i used a simcard from an iPad which worked great. But apparently they've put a stopper to this now.

So, is there any way to get data on my phone now? I don't need calls and texts, just data. And i'd rather not try to get regular a sim-card and cut it if don't have to.

I don't mind being on just EDGE either if that's the only way to do it..

Hope someone have an idea on how to do it.

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Try to get a Tmobile prepaid sim card, but u will be stuck with edge or u can go to ATT sign up for an iPad data plan sim card and install it in your iPhone. However, I don't know if ATT will give u a plan on the go with the iPad data plan.

3. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

the only real way to get 3g data would be to cut down a go phone sim card. it's not hard at all. you can do it with a scissors or a knife.

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yea, but att prepaid doesn't allow data plan with it's prepaid sim card.

5. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I just got back from my trip to Florida. I bought a microsim from AT&T, they activated it on the prepaid gophone service and added the $25/500MB gophone data pack. Worked perfectly, you have to switch your APN to wap.cingular for it to work, though.

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yes they do, it's just really expensive.

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Yes, they actually do. ;)
    You can

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-plans/pyg-cell-phone-plans.jsp

You can add a data package for your smartphone using GoPhone SIM or get a no commitment Data Connect prepaid package. You can't get the "iPad package", but you can use a generic Tablet plan.
    $25 for 2GB of data.
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...s/?q_sku=sku5140223&q_planCategory=cat1370015

8. redrox5 macrumors member

I'm surprised none mentioned h2o wireless yet. They work on AT&T's 3G network, they will activate a NON-Unlocked US iPhone and they offer unlimited everything for a flat $60 (including free international calling). h2o wireless is what I'd recommend. I know some Best Buy airport kiosks sell the SIM kits, if not, any BestBuy store will.

9. iag48 macrumors regular

I bought the $60 unlimited everything package from H20 and after a couple of days went back to my Tmo sim card. First of all H2o service is horrible in my neighborhood of Woodside,Queens. I only get 2-3 bars by the window. Second, even when I do have full bars, usually in Manhattan, "3g" speeds are .10-.15 mb/s. It is really slow. To put things in perspective, my edge connection on Tmo loaded youtube videos faster than my h2o 3g connection. Yes, its that bad.

I am going to call tomorrow if I have time and ask them if they are aware of the slow 3g speeds.

10. c98928 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-au; GT-I9100T Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Just came back from the us and wanna share my experience.

I bought a an att sim card on 5 ave, I remember the sales girl explicitly told me that the go phone plan won't get me internet, but I insisted buying a data pack and she let me.

Then I found a small indian phone shop (very dodgy) and it cut the sim for me. and then I use a free wifi and downloaded a data profile from unlockit.co.nz and bang I was all happy.

So what I'm trying to say is just buy the him with data pack ignore what the att people tell you.

Hope this will help you.