URGENT-Screenshot quality worse when pasting into Photoshop CS4 (since Snow Leopard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AppleCandidate, Sep 19, 2009.

1. AppleCandidate macrumors member

Any insights (or fixes) as to how I can improve the quality of my screenshots? They paste:confused: into Photoshop slightly jagged and pixelated. It was fine before my upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Thanks!!!!

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Is it a problem with Photoshop or Snow Leopard? In other words, is the image in the clipboard jagged when you past it into an application other than Photoshop?

S-

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How do you get your screenshots and in what way do you get them into PS?

I did a normal screenshot via Cmd+Shift+4, which saved a selected portion of my screen onto the desktop as a PNG file.

Once I opened it in PS directly (dragging it to the PS icon on the Dock) and scaled it to 200% of the original size.

[​IMG]

Once I opened the same saved PNG file in Preview, copied it and pasted that image into a new document in PS, and scaled it again to 200%.

[​IMG]

I don't see a difference, but most probably you do it some other way.

I'm running 10.6.1 with Photoshop 11 on an MBP.

4. AppleCandidate thread starter macrumors member

Good point, which I forgot to check. Seems to be the same in Fireworks or Photoshop. Definitely lower quality than before.

Are there settings somewhere to change this?

I remember seeing a hack to change the default screenshots to JPG - so maybe there's something like this for quality settings through terminal?

See screenshot attached saved at the highest possible quality. See the words 'forums' in the logo and my username or the one below. Can you see the difference?

Before Snow Leopard, it was identical to the original

Attached Files:

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

I used "TinkerTool" to change it to jpeg....

S-

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

Screenshot of a partial screenshot, niiice.

It seems "Forums" (the red one on the right of the apple image) and your username are a little bit blurred.

How do you make screenshots?

7. AppleCandidate thread starter macrumors member

I've set up my f13, f14 ad f15 to take these for me.... but as you can see your screenshot is cleaner than mine. It wasn't like that before Snow Leopard.

8. kagaku macrumors newbie

Are you certain the problem isn't related to JPEG quality settings? Flags pop up when I see complaints about image quality and JPEG mentioned in the same topic. I personally haven't seen a difference in quality between L and SL, but then again I haven't been comparing screenshots between the different versions; there may actually be something there.

I don't suppose anyone has a Leopard install chugging away somewhere for a comparison shot?

9. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Umm, I don't get it. Your screenshot and my actual screen are identical pixel for pixel. There's some compression error that was introduced by the file format you saved it in - but other than that it's identical.

Puzzling.

10. AppleCandidate thread starter macrumors member

At first i thought this is CS4, as I had problems with cs4 and color callibration, but then Fireworks saves equally as bad. Well, it's not 'bad', but it's certainly disturbing for me.

This definitely seems to be a compression setting of some sort, but where can I tweak these settings?

It was perfect in Leopard, and since I'm a perfectionist and I look at every pixel, I know it wasn't like that before.