URGENT! VirusBarrier X6 Trial says everything is infected with 'AHAHA malware'!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scylax, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Scylax macrumors regular

I downloaded the trial because my university insists that every assignment I submit must be virus checked. So I installed it on my new MBA and ran the scan before installing my purchased software. It said everything was fine. But now, when I download anything or try to open any apps INCLUDING Intego's own Personal Backup software, it warns me that they are infected with the 'AHAHA malware' and tells me not to open them! So what on earth is going on? I tried a google search for 'AHAHA malware' with no results, the nearest being a Windows only trojan called 'HAHA'. But I don't want to risk getting any Windows viruses onto my system because my Uni is Windows based and will not open or mark any infected files. I am in a real funk over this, so I need help fast, and I will be very grateful for your knowledge.
    Thanks!

2. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you are working entirely in an OS X environment, then 99.9% sure you are not infected with a virus. That last .1% is for the case that a virus was introduced today, and nobody has noticed yet.

There a 2 or 3 Trojans that exist in the wild, and no viruses. The Trojans can be "caught" if you have downloaded pirated versions of iWork and/or Photoshop. If you have, then Google for Mac OS X Trojans and you'll find what you need to get rid of them.

I suspect you are attempting to use a Windows only AV checker, so OS X is confusing it.... or..... that you have fallen for scam-ware. This is when a dubious website offers to scan your computer for free, and then offers to sell you the software to clean the viruses that it put on your computer itself.

If positively need AV, try ClamAV. I don't use an AV, but it is often recommended on these boards by people who I respect.

My wife's University also insisted she scan her documents before sending. She didn't. She never heard anything about it.

Now.... all of that said. If you are running a Windows virtual machine, then you positively need to get an AV for Windows. A VM Windows can muck up things.... Good Luck

3. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

I've had zero problems with X6, interesting. Scan with clamAV. If it says it's fine, just ignore it/move it into the safe files (read: "consider safe" under the quarantine tab or add as trusted under the trusted files tab). Send Intego an email too; its likely something went wrong with your install. Sadly that can be an issue with trials.

If you don't want to pay the cash, just get ClamAV for everyday use, its free.

4. Scylax thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I have to admit I am still a bit confused as to the cause of this. The mac is brand new, the AV is mac-specific and a reputable paid product, I have never downloaded pirated software, and the software downloads I was installing were all ones I had bought for my old mac and downloaded from the official developers site, so I don't see that they could be the problem. I had never heard of a trial doing things like this, so thanks for the heads up. Has anyone else ever had a problem like this, or heard of 'AHAHA'?