Urgh!! Sometimes I wanna grab hold of Google's scrawny neck 'n' beat the f#%*..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by UltraNEO*, Sep 6, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I got a odd issue here, it's driving me batty and I can't seem to solve it.

On the various systems I tend to use Firefox 3.5.2 as the default browser and over the course of the time I've gotten used to using the built in google search that's next to the address bar. Here's the thing that bugs me...

On my MBP. Whenever I do a search, it'll find things from my country and defaults to "co.uk" or in Japan ".co.jp", instead of finding things which are general and global ".com".

However, on the MacPro. I can't seem to make or force it to search locally, yet my google setting appear to be normal, it's preferences has been told to search in English but instead of searching locally, it searches generally. It's sooo ef'in annoying!!

Searching online, I found this... but it's just someone hyperventilating, which doesn't help, only adding to the stress - just goes to show google's fecked!
    http://www.google.com/support/forum...ed&fid=3818ae383c3ccfed00046e1b44b5bbc5&hl=en

Can anyone help me? I'm completely baffled.
    Where are my google settings?? Would be nice to customise it from time to time.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What is the result of searching via the www.google.com website? Does it redirect you to your locale? Does it give you .com?

3. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It does give me ".com" and only ".com", if i want ".co.uk" i have to enter it manually and half the time it'll revert back to ".com" and those results are useless!! Pretty much everything is located overseas. Not especially helpful when your trying to do some shopping, now, is it?

4. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

I was having the same problem, as I'm in Japan and need English search results. To fix it, I downloaded an add-on for Firefox that only searches for English results. This might not help you, though as you need local, NOT just English, but that's my two cents.

5. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks...

Setting the language is the easy bit... getting it to pull up results in the country i'm currently in is umm.. how you say? bleedin' impossible!

Why can't my MacPro learn from it's baby brother?

6. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816