US and UK accused of hacking Sim card firm to steal codes.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NY Guitarist, Feb 19, 2015.

1. NY Guitarist macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Does this affect iPhone users?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31545050

2. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

In the article I read it mentions AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, Sprint and 450 wireless network providers, no mention of Apple.

3. NY Guitarist thread starter macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Very surprised that this news isn't being discussed at all in forums.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You're right, it's oddly silent on the matter. I see no obvious reason why iPhones would be spared from this. And frankly, if the US and UK have managed this, I think it is safe to say they've likely compromised other SIM card manufacturers.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Since the SIM card is compromised the manufacturer of the phone is not relevant.

6. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

I used to be against this sort of thing as a general point of principle regarding privacy. I have grown up a bit since then, and realise that I cannot expect everything the way I want it; the world will not let that be, and we do not live in Utopia.

With every fringe lunatic around the world ready to do everything and anything possible to disrupt my way of life, I am amazed and relieved that there are not many more terrorist atrocities in London and New York than there already are, and I am quite sure that this is mainly due to our security services snooping, and people acting on our behalf in the dark-grey areas of the law. I think accepting this is a price worth paying if it means I don't cop a bomb on the 18:12 from Charing Cross.

The threats we face from faceless groups will only get more severe. When there are dirty bombs and biological weapons in terrorist hands, if it lessens the risk of a strike from such a device, as far as I am concerned, our security services can read all the emails and listen to all the conversations they need to. Occasional abuse of that will be an unfortunate price, but one worth paying.

7. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

when was the last time you were threatened by a faceless group?

8. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

This is by far horrible.
    http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/inside-nsa-british-intels-successful-hacking-billions-cellphones

9. CausticSoda macrumors 6502

CausticSoda

A major UK city in 2013. I cannot give you any more details than that.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

If you're going to engage with lazy propagandists, at least engage in a way that doesn't simply give them more room to spread fear. ;)

11. NY Guitarist thread starter macrumors 65816

NY Guitarist

Wow.

Hacking is illegal but US and UK aren't going to be held accountable for this crime?

Wholesale search without a warrant or any probable cause is OK?

Also, doesn't this open up a plausible argument for evidence obtained illegally (via illegally obtained information that facilitated hacking Sim cards) to be ruled inadmissible in court?

12. tayluftwaffel macrumors member

This is going to be shot down as a "smart aleck" thing to say, but There is a very tight balance between having privacy and having security.

We have these awful things happen in our countries, and we are really upset by them. Being able to track this information, and be easily able to find the bad guy should help justice, and probably would help in the prevention of some crime.

Please don't attack me, I know that there's probably something fundamentally wrong with what I've said, or that I've not considered all of the variables, but I just feel like it's no terrible surprise that we're being watched. As long as you're a good guy, it shouldn't hurt you.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Every time we surrender our privacy or our right to free speech in the name of protecting ourselves from terrorist threats we are letting the terrorists win. They WANT to destroy our democracy. They want to see us under strict Islamic law.

Both the right and the left wings of politics are slowly destroying our freedoms in the name of security. I for one would accept the deaths of a few innocents in the name of keeping our democracy secure. That is the price you pay for freedom.