US Army Failing to Honor Officer's Contracts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Southern Dad, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Early in some officer's careers, they were offered a program called GRADSO which is still being offered to new officers. Under this program officers agree to serve three more years and the US Army offers to pay for their graduate school while they are on active duty.

About 40 of the captains being put out of the Army on the current reduction in force fall into this. My question is why would those thinking about going into the service or officers trust them?

Kicked out captains lose promised college benefit - Army Times

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well they obviously made BAD DECISIONS.:p

3. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

They are basically employed "at-will" and can be let go at any time. It sucks to be fired for anyone, but welcome to the real world.

4. VulchR, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Doesn't sound like the contract has been violated - only the spirit of the contract. I know my University looks favourably on ex-soldiers, so maybe US universities would pitch in with financial assistance for these guys. In any case, this is the inevitable outcome of smaller government and austerity - commitments get broken.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When Iraq was going to hell in a hand basket--around '06-'07--MiTT team positions were the most important thing in the army and "are now branch-qualifying." Of course, a few years later P4 is gone, we're getting out of Iraq, and branch says, "Umm, about that...those are "soft" KD positions...we didn't really mean you were KDed...I guess the joke's on you!"

6. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But the question is will it hurt future officers from trusting the government to deliver on its promises?

Actually, no they are not "at will" employees. Military officers sign a contract. The government has decided that they will make those contracts null and void.

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

In another thread I mentioned the aspect of TRUST in the US government, and your answer was it doesn't matter.

Trust once it's gone, it's gone.

8. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Wow, what a stretch. Countries that told us to leave and then don't trust us because we don't come back when they get in trouble, and US Army officers who have a signed contract with the government not getting what it calls for... Two totally different situations.

Talk about grasping at straws rather than answering. Wow.

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Not really in both cases they are being **** over. :p

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

11. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Huge difference, Iraq was offered a contract and turned it down. They didn't want us there. These officers were offered a contract and took it. Now, it isn't being honored. If you are unable to see that difference, I'd ask you to produce the contract that says we are obligated to protect Iraq. They did tell us to leave.

Yes, it is in writing. The officers signed 3 year extensions on their contracts and also have a further obligation upon graduation. The military is saying these contracts are negated by the Board's determination of these individuals to be selected in a reduction in force.

12. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I don't know the specifics of this situation, so, maybe you can explain, but, I'm not sure how this is any different from any other historical military downsizing. It has often happened in the past. When they downsize, all "promises" are off. That is a known risk. And, there are rules about time in grade and all that, too.

Is this different from any other downsizing?

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

That sucks. Hope they sue

14. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Our military have never sent officers layoff notices while deployed to combat zones. This contract option called GRADSO came into existence in 2006. The really bad part is that some of these officers are 30 plus months into a 36 month extension.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's funny to me that when its a subject that you care deeply about (military) you care about broken promises. When say, a union negotiates a contract and a multimillion dollar multinational corporation, a signatory, breaks the contract (pensions), your thought process always seems to be a roundabout way of getting to "screw them, they're union workers whom seem to think they should have a say in their working conditions."

What I truly don't under is why anyone would believe that the Army would hold up its end of its obligations, we have a history going back to the foundation of this country of screwing over soldiers after the fact. The VA has never been funded enough to meet the need (regardless of spouting about "biggest budget increase in history"). How long have we had the shameful history of veteran homelessness and pay cuts/non-payment? Oh....only about 240 years or so.

:rolleyes:

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    These things don't matter until it's something I care about. Then it matters a lot.

17. Southern Dad thread starter macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Really? You can back that up with a link where I've said that? Anywhere on any forum you can show where I've said that it's okay for any multimillion dollar multinational corporation to break a contract screwing over pensioners.

Okay, my glove is off... I'll name my second. Back that statement up. Put a link in here that quote me ever saying it or take it back. You're option.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's your modus operandi...

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Well if they don't like what their employer does they could always go and work somewhere else. No one forced them to work for the military.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I believe you constantly blame the unions for GM's gross incompetence and illegal action of not funding the pension obligations they've agreed to. You do it shorthand but it's exactly what you do. Go ahead and revisit those threads.

Oh by the way, I don't believe I DEMANDED that you stated as fact that the Democrats (GOP-lite for short) was my party in the Pelosi thread. Maybe you should calm the hell down with your authority play once in a while.

Anyway, back on topic. I think the entire system of education needs an overhaul. We have the money many times over to send every person to college but for some reason we'd rather waste it on war, weapons, and tax breaks to multinational corporations that already don't pau their ****ing taxes anyway. Is like to see colleges give vets additional assistance to make up for damages they've recieved in combat , but rather than putting them on a pillar, I'd like us to educate everyone and then offer the assistance that vets would need in readjusting to non-combat life....like free housing for one thing. Our homeless vet population is and has ALWAYS been a national disgrace that we don't seem to care or talk about.

21. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

There are no unconditional guarantees nor promises for those who serve in the military. Everything is contingent upon the needs of the mission.

Any officer who isn't aware of this, shouldn't be an officer.

And no, it won't hurt future officer accessions. This isn't the first nor the last "promise" broken to our troops. Most are insightful enough to realize this.

22. TPadden macrumors 6502a

It just isn't the same. You have a beef with your union contract; you quit. Even Gov't employees can quit any day they want to; try walking off the job with a military enlistment or commission ...... :rolleyes:

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Again, no one forced you to enlist, that was the point being made and your post (dealing with consequences after the willful enlistment) did not address that at all.

24. TPadden, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

TPadden macrumors 6502a

We agree; a draft is the only fair way to provide for the national defense :D!

I'm just obfuscating as you are :); the point completely ignores the FACT that only the military has no recourse when their employment contracts are violated; they can't "vote with their feet".

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Or we can get back to the reality that no existential threat exists and we can par down a military that is much larger than when there was a (somewhat) legitimate threat to Americans (USSR).