US attack on Iran would be "criminally ignorant and murderous folly"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by toontra, Oct 5, 2007.

1. toontra macrumors 6502

Rowan Williams, head of the Church of England and head of the worldwide Anglican Communion, has made his most outspoken statement yet on the war in Iraq and any possible US military action in Iran.

When asked if there will ever be a time when the Iraq war will be seen to have been justified, he replied, "No". He has been an outspoken critic of the conflict since it's inception.

He is also extremely worried about the possible increased destabilisation of the region that would result from any further US military involvement, specifically in Iran. Any such action, he said, would be a "criminally ignorant and murderous folly".

No link as yet.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You might care to change the country in your thread title... :rolleyes:

3. toontra thread starter macrumors 6502

Ta.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

No need to worry, since Israel will be the one that strikes Iran. The US and UK will run interference for the Israelis with the UN, of course. Back to good 'ol proxy war.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I misread your post. Moderator - please delete

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Why would it be a murderous folly? We're going to go in with surgical precision and only kill the bad people; or at least I'm hoping no civilian people get hurt. :(

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That sounds like Swarmlord talking. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if we do this we will unleash a hell the likes of which we've never known. Actually, I think that's what W and the fundies want- Armageddon. I mean, if Jesus won't come back on his own, we'll have to make him come back. Nevermind that Jesus probably gave up years ago and decided to let this planet die of natural causes. The fundies will be horribly disappointed.

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

No, that's just me moving temporarily to the right of centre because I don't want to end up being forced at gun point to pray 5 times a day to some dude named Allah.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's what they said about Iraq :rolleyes:

Yeah, because that's gonna happen :rolleyes: you're paranoid.

10. Queso macrumors G4

There are plenty of non-Muslim Iranians that aren't forced to change religion in this way, so I'm sure you being afraid of it is overreacting just a little :p

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I really hope you're joking.

In reality, the danger right now is that you might be forced at gun point to pray 5 times a day to some dude named Jesus. If you wanna be paranoid, that's what you should be paranoid about.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I thought we built walls at our southern border to keep Jesus out. :confused: :p

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Spot on :)

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Give me a break. I've never heard of anyone forced to pray by the Christian sects even their own members much less non believers. Last I checked it was only the muslims that had religious police.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What about all the "In God We Trust" and swearing on a bible and the constant xian blather that is injected into our everyday lives.

Xianity is shoved down your throat in such a way that most Americans don't realize it.

Look at the last eight years of bushco's funding of xian extremists in the US and then tell me there's no fear of the US becoming an xian based religious state complete with religious police.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Torquemada gave tea parties.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't think the fundies here wouldn't do it in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. As long as they could still snort meth off their male hooker's chest's in private of course.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You give me a break. Many of them sure do love to pass laws against people they don't like, for no other reason than their book tells them to.

19. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm actually serious this time Lee; but that's alright, because in a weird twisted sort of way, I actually feel privileged to get rolleyes from you; I feel like I've "arrived." :)

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh! Glad you feel loved. ;)

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Wow....you seriously think the Iranians are going to invade the US and force everyone to follow Islam at gunpoint? Wow....just....wow.

22. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't trust the current Iranian regime; all the rest of the Iranians are okay by me.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's naive, because there's no way it would be that easy.

And now you're paranoid. Not going to happen. Iran is as much of a threat to us as Iraq was. Which is to say, it isn't. And they certainly aren't going to attempt to convert us to anything.

You do know there are other religions and religious people in Iran than Muslim right?

No one trusts them, but do you trust our jokers to deal with them?

And again, absolutely no threat. The minute they tried anything, they would be wiped off the map. At this point though, if we invade them, once again, we would be the aggressors.

BTW, Iran didn't have anything to do with 9/11 either, just in case you were going there next as I've seen other try to do.

24. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

No I wasn't planning on going there; that's for the far right neo-cons to say. None of this matters anyway because Bush says he has no intention of attacking Iran. ;)

The Associated Press

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Actually, if you really read the article, he didn't exactly say that. He's making it seem like it's a last ditch effort if they don't comply, but that they're trying to be diplomatic first. And playing off anything else as an unfounded rumor. Which is the type of thing they have been saying. He never says he won't attack them, or what happens if they continue with the nuke program, just that they aren't planning on doing it.

But that's also what they did with Iraq if you recall, and his credibility is all but shot anyway.