US Attorney General Eric Holder To Resign

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Sep 25, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

3. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Executive Privilege still applies and if he was accused of any crimes, he could still be pardoned. Personally, I think that he's just tired of the turmoil and has decided to move on.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Kamala harris might take his spot.

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

He had plans to leave a few years ago, Obama expected to have a chance to replace him but politics got in the way.

Non story.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What I'm curious about is if he is replaced with a white male will the Republicans get just as mad at Holder's successor for doing his job?

7. jkcerda, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

guessing you had no issues with the GOVT letting cartels get guns & the cartel using those guns to kill people in the U.S?
    http://www.latimes.com/nation/atf-fast-furious-sg-storygallery.html

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I had just as many issues with it this time as I did when the last administration did it. What I find interesting is that back then there was no outrage from the Republicans about it, so that would be why I wonder if Holder is replaced by a white male if the Republicans will still have that outrage against the justice department.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

For the same reason Gonzalez and Rumsfeld are not in jail, and if they did worse and walked, holder should be leaving, whistling to the tune of Sesame Street.

/s

Not for nothing, but didn't F&F start in 2007? I'm not saying that Holder gets a pass on it, but this is an operation that frankly never should have been undertaken.

BL.

10. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

So it is okay because someone else did it first? This seems to be the Democrats defense to everything. Something comes up, they dig up a Republican that did it first. Why not just talk about whether it was right or wrong?

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

republicans are the same as democrats, they only care when the "other" side is doing things they also did. as long as that white male is a democrat, they will sure as hell pretend to have an issue.

1. just more morons who should be in jail

2. yes it did, amazing level of criminal stupidity shown by them.

----------

touche. updating post.

13. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Because hypocrisy.

It's hard to take hypocrites very seriously....

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

When did I say it was ok either time. I just find it interesting that to many people on the right it only becomes an issue when it's a black guy that they can blame. It's more pointing out the double standard held here than any defence of something stupid like that.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Because out of all times, now you want to talk about right or wrong of it, when the double standard exists for the Reds, yet didn't want to go anywhere near talking about right or wrong back then.

You can't play right and pious now when your lot was down and dirty in it themselves. Hypocrisy at its finest.

BL.

16. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

What's the big deal about F&F? Is there a shortage of guns available to Mexican cartels? Mexico is AWASH in American guns; what's a few more?

You really think the people who were shot with F&F guns wouldn't have died if not for F&F?

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

SD's join date was in 2010, was he here when someone allegedly brought it up?

----------

I am not sure I can really explain to you what the big deal is. so I will simply pass.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If I'm Obama, after all the bull **** his nominations have taken, I'd nominate a single, unwed, lesbian who's in a wheelchair, pregnant and engaged to be gay married. If she's black, that's just a bonus.

----------

And you misrepresent others yet again. It's not okay if someone else also did it. Merely pointing out the rabid hypocrisy of the righties.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can she/he at least be QUALIFIED for the task/job assigned?

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think for the Republicans being nominated by Obama means that you are automatically disqualified no matter what other credentials you have, so probably not.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the day when republicans & democrats worked for the PEOPLE instead of engaging is stupid POS pissing matches is long gone, someone hit the reset button on both those sets of morons

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It was a complicated case, brought to the public eye as a result of the tragedy of a Border Patrol officer being killed by one of the firearms involved.

The tactic of "gun walking" - allowing firearms bought from US dealers to be transported to Mexico was prompted by, among other issues, concerns that interdiction of suspected straw purchasers would draw complaints from Second Amendment supporters. If the Feds arrested someone who'd bought a couple of hundred AR-15 or AK-47 type weapons, there were relatively low penalties. So, in much the same way as narcotics investigations sometimes let street level sales to proceed in the hopes of being led to higher-level distributors, the decision was made to let some of the tracked firearms go to Mexico.

Was this the right way to go? I can't say, and it is probably only a question people directly involved in the investigation can say.

But you need to ask yourself this: If the Holder-led Justice Department had made a policy of arresting people whose only provable action was buying up several hundred semi-automatic rifles - what would you have said then?

In any case, tragic as its consequences were, Fast & Furious, like the Bush-era projects that preceded it, were based on the sound intention of trying to cut off the supply of weapons to Mexico's increasingly violent and dangerous cartels.

23. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Good point. Then of course, there is that part where I'm a complicated Republican who doesn't always agree with the party.

So, correct me if I'm incorrect, you do think that Holder was wrong?

24. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Whomever replaces him needs to defend the laws of the United States and not pick and choose the laws they like.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

But now that the above has been established, won't that apply to all future Attorneys General?