US "Boots on the Ground" in Syria

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Raid, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The BBC is reporting Marines are taking up artillery positions around Raqqa.
    So I really am split on this. Bombing runs and arming loose factions of rebel forces has proven to be problematic in the past for the US. Obama had his hands tied with this with a lack of senate support, and now Trump is putting US troops in Syria (though a few hundred is off from the 20K-30k estimate he gave in one debate last March), but not a peep of protest from the right or left (so far). I'm curious as to the silence but it sounds like the republicans have accepted now that troops provide the situational intel and reaction time required for combating essentially guerrilla forces.

A few questions still remain though. First does this mean that the US will continue to support the rebels looking for democracy in Syria? If so how will Russia respond? Will the battle for hearts and minds be won in Iraq and Syria?

What do you guys think?

2. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Are the ~500 that Obama sent in late 2015 and throughout 2016 still there?

Personally? I don't like it. Unfortunately, Syria is a mess.

3. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Well, this was kinda inevitable. "Boots on the ground" was essentially one of the main campaign promises made by Trump, and given the fairly low level of popularity received by the rollout of his domestic policies, it makes even more sense for him to try and get a win on the foreign front. This isn't the major deployment I was expecting, but it does give him the chance to take credit for any military victories in the area, despite how small our presence is.

Trump wants a good relationship with Russia. And, so far as I can tell, he sees all Muslims as sub-human. So I would imagine he'll start backing away from helping anyone in the region; even if ISIS does get taken out in the near future (which I doubt), so long as Trump doesn't help the rebels, Assad should still come out on top with both Iran and the Russians backing him. With both the rebels and ISIS gone, Assad should be much more able to solidify control over the entire country. This would make Russia quite happy...

Anyway, when have we ever won hearts or minds in the Middle East by putting boots on the ground there? That's a hopeless task at this point. :( Trump only cares about American hearts and minds, so I doubt he gives a crap what long-term consequences his actions over there have. (Besides, he's 70 years old, I doubt he gives a crap about the long-term consequences of anything...)

4. Raid thread starter macrumors 68020

Raid

We (as the US) probably haven't won many hearts and minds in the ME (save for Israel). I will say the UN has a much better track record in that category and I wish it could be applied here, sadly security council veto power has crippled the UN to the point of being incapable of intervention.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2017 ---
    I think the non-combatant forces are still there, providing training and logistical support.

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Can we at least come to a consensus that the people in ISIS aren't likely going to come to the table for an exchange of rational ideas?

6. Raid thread starter macrumors 68020

Raid

I can agree to that.

Can we also agree that a prolonged aerial bombing campaign involving two superpowers with different agendas also exasperated the refugee crisis in Syria?

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Artillery is cheaper than precision-guided bombs.... I thought most of the troops there were meant to provide fire support from a distance.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Absolutely, the Syrian people are in a really tough spot. There's really only two options though, dialogue or force.

9. DrewDaHilp1, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017

DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Pretty sure the 75th Ranger Regiment got there this week. From what I read if it's correct they're there more as a peace keeping force to keep the various Anti-Assad forces from going at each other.

Okay source

That's why they are there.

10. Raid thread starter macrumors 68020

Raid

Yes the article mentions that:
    The Syria situation is pretty tangled up, but "The Atlantic" has a very good summary.

11. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I can see nothing going wrong./sarcasm
    Syria as a whole shows that there has to be a detailed response when it comes to military force. You can't win a war only from the air and supplying "rebels". We're forgetting lessons from the past. Primarily Beirut and the supporting of the mujahadeen during the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

the artillery units in the OP report are a different contingent..........the "flag waving" contingent you mentioned were sent to the area around Manbij to make sure the FSA militias backed by Turkey didn't decide to attack the SDF militias backed by the US.

The new unit is said to be the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, which is there to set up (and fire) artillery for the upcoming attack on ISIS's headquarters in Raqqa.

source

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

We both know that JK tries pretty hard to be bipartisan.

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well both of you may believe that......but I don't :D

16. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you mean both Republican and Libertarian as bipartisan then sure.

17. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Not often heard but congratulations to the US military for standing up to Turkey and being in a position to stop attacks by the Turkish gangs and the Turkish state military.Turkey is seething they've been stopped from attacking SDF troops (who are mainly YPG/YPJ with some Arab forces from the area.Make no mistake Turkey is still flying missions and backing the Turkish gangs who are attacking in various parts of Rojava. SDF are about to attack Raqqa and both the US and Russia appear to be going to keep Turkey out of it.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

And to go back even further, it probably wasn't a good idea to set up radical madrassas in the 50's for the Saudis, whose version of Islam (Wahabbism) is the variant that advocates suicide bombing and violence, which was used by us (via proxies) to terrorize any nation in the ME that had the gall to suggest that Western powers couldn't just take oil via the Exxons and BP's of the world. "Vanilla" Islam considers suicide a mortal sin.

It would seem every modern problem in the ME has its roots in our covert actions there immediately after WWII.

Short version, empire crumbles under the long shadow of it's own deeds decades after the fact.

19. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not true. Some problems were created after World War I.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which ones in particular?

****, you're right, I forgot that places like Iraq were created artificially at then end of WWI, not WWII.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You mean drawing borders on a map like a kid with crayons isn't the best way to divide conquered lands? :D

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Balfour declaration is another.

23. niploteksi macrumors regular

Unless you provide some sort of area where you can let the original population stay without interfering with those new borders.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Every day.
    W/o trump democrats on this board would be engaging in mental gymnastics to justify anything Clinton did. Only way for democrats to have a back bone is to have a republican at the helm and that is sad as hell

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Then don't criticize Democrats for voting for Obama even if they didn't agree with everything he did since they saw the alternatives as worse.