US Buyer of "Unlocked" O2 iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ViViDboarder, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ViViDboarder, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

So my friend bought a iPhone 4 that is supposed to be "Unlocked" from O2, but apparently it's still currently locked.

On the O2 website, it says to unlock it he would have to buy a Prepaid SIM and then pay the 15 pound fee to unlock it. The problem is, we are in the US... So it's a little difficult to just walk in and buy said SIM.

Does anyone have any ideas? Anything else work for people? If someone from the UK mails a SIM to us, would that work?

He's kind of scrambling since he's out a lot of money at the moment.

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Which phone does he have? your post and its title did not even mention it is an Iphone. So, is it an Iphone?

3. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yes, it's an iPhone. I figured that would be implied by the forum. :) iPhone 4 if that makes a difference. I know O2 says they don't unlock iPhone 4s at the moment, so I guess it is pertinent. I'll update my OP.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

to unlock the iPhone, I don't think O2 needs the prepaid sum card. They unlock it base on the IMEI numbers only. Did you or your friend talk to them to see why they need this info?

Only explanation I can see is that the phone is at activation screen and you/your friend can't get inside the phone to get this IMEI numbers for them. Am I right?

5. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

It's from the O2 website. He has called Apple and they referred him to O2.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI...ion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),CASE=17424

It directs you to this form: https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset Unlocking Form

The form requires your plan type and phone number as well.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

When you open the website and fill out information. An O2 agent (pop up windows) will ask you to chat with him/her. Can you chat with them and find out? If this phone is from O2 network, then you might need to give them the old #s this phone was on so they can locate the account.

7. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

He just told me he tried it and they told him he needed to have a plan or pay as you go sim before they would deal with him.

So that might mean the choices are pretty limited unless anyone else has experienced something similar and had no problems.

8. Grimsrud macrumors member

I've bought foreign SIM cards on eBay for a few bucks (saves me the hassle of going to a shop for one after I land). I'm sure they have lots of British O2 SIM cards on ebay.co.uk

9. ViViDboarder thread starter macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Good tip! Thanks!