US experiences warmest 12 month period on record...again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Jul 10, 2012.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's been really bad here in Chicago. We really need some rain. My yard is completely brown.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

Supposed to be mid-upper 80s all week and that's a respite from the 90-100s of the past two weeks before it's supposed to hit 90+ near the end of the week. Hooray.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Plant more wild forests, right they way across the Tropics. It's the only way we'll stop this, by giving the planet back the ability to regulate itself. Pumping the air full of carbon is one thing, but when you simultaneously chop down the mechanism for the ecosystem to balance that carbon out you're asking for trouble.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What? You ****ing hippie! You're just anti-business! :)

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well the forest are only a small part of the problem.

The ocean handles most of our carbon and O2 production but we are damaging that as well.

7. Queso macrumors G4

A step back to Capitalism would make a nice start. Drop this Consumerist, short term thinking, disposable, immediate-need BS they've sold us as the only method to live by, and go back to investing in something durable. Which of course includes not squeezing out turds in the only nest we have.
    The pH levels of the ocean are changing because the ocean is now the only CO2 regulator left, hence the reefs are dying, hence less fish for those factory trawlers with their sonar to scoop up, hence more demand on land based food resources, hence the need to chop down more trees, hence more carbon soaked up by the oceans etc.

The lack of forward thinking by the human race is embarrassing. We're a useless bunch of wankers without a doubt.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good luck with that.

Yep- while we may not be able to destroy the planet, we sure can destroy ourselves. The planet will eventually smite us.

9. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Well, it's a shame we can't swop weather for a few weeks. I've got the central heating on in my front room in attempt to dry out a corner where we've had a leak (hope it's a blocked gutter and not anything more serious.)

I've never known rain like it. (And we're used to rain!) Just about everything here is being cancelled due to the weather.

Isn't the jet stream stuck too far south or something?

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't know. Can you go fix it? :)

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

The heater is not the best way to solve that problem.

A better solution for drying things out is put some box fans on it and some heat lamps. Much more targeted and much more effective use power.

----------

That and we are pumping a crap load more CO2 in the air.

12. jeremy h macrumors 6502

With my history of attempts to fix anything involving water - I'd suggest you wouldn't want me anywhere near the Jet Stream with a spanner muttering "righty tighty - leftie loose'sy"

----------

Yes, thanks for the tip, a couple of fan heaters are already on the way here for tonight. (They were lent to someone - you don't expect to need them in July!)

13. Queso macrumors G4

But that happens anyway during a volcanic eruption. That's why I'm certain that the destruction of the forests is a more important variable than how much CO2 we ourselves are generating, because the planet has happily regulated huge influxes of CO2 for hundreds of millions of years.

14. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Fog has come back with a vengeance in NZ. On my way back to Hamilton tonight there was only road in front of me because someone willed it into existence.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

those are 1 time shots so it gets reduced. We on the other hand have been pumping more. It is the countious pumping that is causing the problem in my opinion.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It's bad here in the Netherlands as well. I too had a blocked gutter which meant a damp wall.:mad:
    I just looked at the weather forecast for the next week and guess what rain and rain and even more rain.:(

17. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Typical Waikato weather. :D

18. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Global Warming= It might be our fault (liberal)
    Climate Change= We had nothing to do with it. (conservative)

Keep these terms in mind the next time you have a discussion on the subject. :)

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Volcanic eruptions typical put a lot more than CO2 into the air. The combination of particulate matter and SO2 offsets it by reducing absorption of solar heat. Big volcanic events are often followed by a cold year or two.

In the history of life, the earth has mostly not been viewed as an ecosystem. Various localized systems function, thrive, fail, rebalance within their scope. Seven billion humans treating the entire planet as a single system is a recipe for failure.

Soon as I get my ship finished, I am moving to Nereid. It may be cold, dark and lonely there, but at least it has a really low idiot-count.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the large percentage of the population who are disillusioned with politics might be up for giving it a try.

But hey its probably also down to stuff like this.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

The ocean takes up most of the C02 emitted

The land takes up quite a bit as well and has been measured with increased CO2 emissions, the biosphere has actually grown as a result

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I am reminded of a song by some obscure, unknown band from New Zealand called Crowded House. ;) They described Melbourne, Australia to a tea with this song.

With temps here hitting the 40 - 44C mark without humidity (Las Vegas and Sacramento), Waikato, Auckland, and Melbourne are sounding pretty good right about now.

BL.

23. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Not quite true. Global warming has gone out of fashion for two reasons- first it is confusing and second it is incomplete. It's confusing because many people don't understand that global warming is an average change, and many areas will get colder. It is incomplete because it implies temperature is the only important thing, when things like pH, toxicity and visibility are also important.

Climate change is simply a more accurate term. I have a friend studying for a PhD at a world class university studying climate change- and that's what he calls it along with many other liberals and academics.

24. AhmedFaisal Guest

How about keeping it simple. Our current state of affairs makes the air stink, our water poison and our land infertile which will ultimately kill us. Our oceans run out of lifestock to feed us and we quickly run out of the resources to make shiny iPads. This may not have been an issue for your parents. If you are lucky, it might not hit you until you retire, but if we go at the rate we do now your kids will get hit and no money in the world will save them. Choose. Now.

25. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It scares me to think of what condition the earth will be in another 100 years.

[​IMG]