US Fast Food Consumption Down

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eric/, Feb 24, 2013.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Hey! Good news.

Link

Hopefully these companies will start looking at healthier food, and making their food more healthy for consumption.

It's not fair to just say we need to ban fast food or anything, but I think we can vote with our dollars in this instance to help us all eat more healthy.

I think that people still need to be weary of eating out. Generally places like Applebees aren't any healthier than McDonalds.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I am willing to consume more calories if the quality of the food is better. Hence when I eat ice cream I prefer to get Ben& jerry's or Hagen Daz simply because their ice cream uses better ingredients than Breyers( hell Breyers isn't called ice cream anymore!).

But, I do compensate for the extra calories in the better ice cream by eating less of it.

Same thing with restaurants like Applebees. The quality of the food is better than McD's. Just don't eat the whole meal. Split it up and take the rest home.

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I don't really think the quality of the food there is that much better than McDonalds.

4. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Applebees is healthier than McDonalds? It really isn't, and its not even anymore expensive typically for a full on meal.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I haven't eaten at Applebee's, hence why I said restaurants like Applebees. The food at BJ's Brewhouse is loads better than McD's( in terms of quality). Clyde's is also pretty good too. They all may have the around the same calorie/fat count, but the quality is better. And to keep the calorie count down, just eat like a third-half of the meal and take the rest home.

6. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

:confused:

I said they generally aren't any healthier

----------

Ah I see. I'm still unsure, I think it depends on the place and the ingredients. Getting a grilled chicken sandwhich from Applebees, for instance, is like 1200 calories and 30g of fat. I don't really think it even tastes better than McDonalds.

You also have to consider places like BJs are much more expensive than McDonalds and/or Applebees.

I think the best places to eat out are local establishments and not chain restaurants.

I'm fortunate where I live we have a great selection of places that buy organically locally too, and make great food that isn't terrible for you.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's not at all. I've had a couple friends who worked at Applebees during high school. All of their food comes in pre-prepped and frozen. It gets microwaved and put on your plate. The only difference between Applebees and McDonalds is at Applebees you have a server to take your order and bring the "food" to your table. They are one of the absolute worst of all the chain restaurants.

8. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If there is a food quality difference between Applebee's and McDonalds.....it's a minimal one. They all use prepackaged crap that is loaded down with preservatives and fillers.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I saw that too! He'll get it eventually.

Also, I've drastically cut down on fast food and soda. Its made a huge difference in my weight and appearance.

10. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Oh I'm sorry I totally misread that, and I drink a 5th of Bastille ( You have no idea the projects ive been working on lol ). Anyway yeah, your right.

11. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Of course, thats one of the reasons I love visiting france ( GF is from France, I go all the time ), you trip over amazing little cafes and bistros, all locally run and family owned. Try Toulon, not a McDonalds in sight. The city that everyone forgot ;)

Same here, I lived in Wisconsin, Atlanta, Tallahassee FL, Chicago, and we JUST moved to Pittsburgh, I feel lucky that all of the above have incredible food and locally grown food if you know where to look, in lots of America people are not so lucky.

Always pick the local place over the chain.

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I don't think there hasn't been a week in most of my life that I haven't ate junk food. :eek: And while I could lose some weight, in general I feel very healthy.

We have a local fast food drive-thru/diner/restaurant here. Which I would consider to be just as bad as McDonalds, but fresher. We also have a local Italian, but that's also just as bad as any fast food place too and pricey. Think we have some other places too, it's all the same though. Better stuff 20 minutes from here and downtown.

People need to remember that there is more than just burgers at places like McDonalds though. That and soda! Different sizes choices too. The snack wraps are really good, two of those, no fries, some water, or a small fruit smoothie, and it's light and filling. Costs the same as a Big Mac too. I do the same at Wendy's, order a salad with chicken and etc, and it's much more satisfying than anything else they have. Probably the same calories, but then I'm still pretty hungry after eating a burger if I'm honest. Could easily eat like three :eek:.

We noticed the other day that the prices at Burger King went up. I think the rising prices of fast food in general is to blame here. It costs like $30 to feed four people. At those prices, we might as well eat at IHOP which is next door.

13. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

14. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I gave up meat 2 years ago..it's cut back on many things I used to eat.

15. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Must be nice! I wish i could but i'm loving it too much.

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Vegan-ism is for the brave, I simple couldn't read everything I bought to insure I stayed vegan. I like my shopping to be quick that's why I do it for every meal.

It also helps that my wife and daughter pretty much only eat fish. It would be much harder if they ate a lot of meat.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You may think you're eating healthier by not buying their burgers but that is not true. Two of the lowest calorie wraps at McDonalds have 500 calories, 38% of daily cholesterol, 56% sodium and 20% carbs. A Big Mac is "healthier".

As for a Wendy's salad, their Chicken BLT salad has 600 calories and is quite high in cholesterol and sodium. Their single burger has fewer calories, fat, sodium but lots more carbs.

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's "healthier" when you consider that I usually down a large order of 500 calorie french fries with a Big Mac. :eek:

19. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Given the price of a fast-food "meal deals" nowadays, no wonder why fast-food consumption has gone way down.

No wonder why McDonald's smartly created the Dollar Value menu years ago; I wouldn't be surprised--given their massive buying power--McDonald's will put most of their non-premium items under a new US$2.00 per item menu within the next two years.

20. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I don't think there will ever be a day whereby Macdonalds becomes extinct. Imagine 2060 and we still have Macdonalds.... :eek:

21. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well expect a spike in those figures between July 14 and September 21. I'll be making a road trip from Chicago to Seattle via Canada this year.

Denny's Wendy's McDonald's and HOP's are the road trip pit stops.:p

22. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Calories are never a bad thing.

I eat 4-6k calories a day. Does that mean it's bad for me? No.

The problem most people have is they consume a lot of calories, but either a) don't burn that many calories and/or b) they have no need for the calories (i.e. muscle growth).

23. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

A single Grilled Chicken Ranch Snap Wrap has 286 Calories, 16% daily cholesterol, 31% sodium and 9% carbs. Even if you eat two of them, it is about the same as a Big Mac. But from personal experience, it fills you up MUCH longer than a Big Mac will, meaning you'll consume less calories throughout the day if you usually ONLY eat when hungry.

As someone who travels 6-days a week, A McD's oatmeal breakfast and a couple snack wraps for lunch is about the best you are going to find if you can't cook for whatever reason.

That said, you'd still be better off with a bowl Quaker of oatmeal over any of McDs offerings and you'd save money too.

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I like White Castle, A LOT. Kal Penn from "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" is from my town, and we just happen to have a brand new White Castle that was just built here, I'm going to write to the company to suggest that they dedicate it to him!

They were having a valentines day promotion, love is in the castle....

Attached Files: