US flag, symbol of hate?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chew Toy McCoy, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I have yet to meet somebody who proudly displays the American flag or images of it beyond patriotic holidays that doesn’t have an extreme negative viewpoint on the poor, minorities, foreigners, people who aren’t heterosexual or comfortable with their biological gender, or the federal government on just about everything except stripping the rights and safety nets of a group of people they don’t belong to. Maybe not all those things but at least one or several. I’m not saying they are the only people who have those views, but you can pretty much guarantee it with US flag fetishists.

Maybe they won’t be immediately up front about it but get a few drinks in them and out it comes. It’s very far removed from what the flag symbolized when the country was founded, although I’ll admit that even back then the symbolism was in stark contrast to the reality of living in the US which makes me think have people in this country ever been honest about what the US is in reality? It’s like a big melting pot of disapproval that has somehow managed to not self-destruct. Yet.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

So you think every veteran that has served this country and wears that flag proudly on their uniform, gets it tattooed upon them, etc is a bigot?

3. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I don’t think every person who has served in the military ever is a hero and good person by default.

4. SteveJobzniak macrumors 6502

SteveJobzniak

This thread is retarded (and hateful). Nothing more needs to be said.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

[​IMG]
    Think of me as you wish. I stopped caring a long time ago.

6. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That's not what I asked. Based on your OP the Israeli flag, the Canadian flag, every countries flag is a symbol of hate.

7. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I said "I have yet to meet" and I can't speak for what is going on in other countries. And being in the military doesn't give a pass on opinions on internal issues. We have the biggest military on earth (except for China maybe?) so odds are pretty high there are plenty of bad eggs in there.

8. Gutwrench, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

That's one heck of a first sentence.

In your experience...

Anyone who displays the American flag on nonpayriotic days...

Hold extremely negative views on:

• the poor,
    • minorities,
    • foreigners,
    • people who aren’t heterosexual
    • people uncomfortable with their gender,
    • the federal government on just about everything except stripping the rights and safety nets of a group of people they don’t belong to.
    From time to time we all should take advantage of self reflection in order to reevaluate our self-awareness and to self-regulate.

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I asked if you think our servicemen/women who wear that flag and display that flag with pride are as bigoted as you anecdotally claim that anyone who displays that flag on non-US holidays are.

Lucky for us our servicemen aren't asked to take a civics exam. Also, if you've ever served in the military you'd know that your opinion matters the least. In fact they'd prefer you take it and stick it somewhere. You're asked to do as your told and follow the orders that are given to you without question.

10. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Damn! My flag flies 24x7 at my house. I better renew my "extreme negative viewpoint on the poor, minorities, foreigners" hate card.

You need to meet new people.

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

maybe you just need to get out more?

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

^^^^GOD DAMN RACIST HERE^^^^ ;):rolleyes:

13. elistan macrumors 6502a

Well. I can't comment on who you encounter most days, but I wonder if you're suffering from confirmation bias. I have a US flag flying from a mount on the front of my house most of the time. I had a US flag sticker on my S2000 for very many years. I most certainly do not have an extreme negative viewpoint of the poor et. al, or even just a negative in any way viewpoint. Though it could be depending on who you consider a "flag fetishist" I guess. I don't dress head to toe in flags or anything like that. But I wonder if there are plenty of people you encounter who display a US flag who you simply don't notice because they aren't jerks about it.

14. Chew Toy McCoy thread starter macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Its like I just verbally bombed the country and that's when everybody who normally disagrees unites.

15. ThisBougieLife, Aug 8, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2017

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Don't mess with my America bro!

Nah but I have a California flag in my room at all times, but no American flag. I tend to see people who fly the American flag all the time also drive pick-up trucks. And sometimes there's a rebel flag in there too (and I'm talking in California for ****'s sake).

It's unfortunate that sometimes I associate year-round flag-flying with "hicks", but anyone can fly one. Like others said, they may be veterans, or they may just like to fly the damn flag. It doesn't necessarily mean anything about whether or not they have conservative views. Although there are some people who think their conservative views make them "true Americans" to the exclusion of everyone else, that is BS, and those of us who don't have views like that should have no shame about showing just as much American pride as they do.

If you relegate flag-flying only to "bigots", then you are just letting them win.

16. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Your supposed to take it down at night and such.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I proudly fly the American flag. To me it's a symbol of freedom regardless of what our current president thinks of the constitution.

18. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Mistaken? Since he is holding a flag from the guy who fought to own him.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's not supposed to get wet, or touch the ground. You can fly it at night if it's lit.

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Yea, this is a bit silly. I display the US flag proudly. I love my country, despite all faults.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 8, 2017 ---
    Looks to me like a loser flag that represents the losing side of a war, where the losing side supported slavery and a whole lot of other bad thing.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You can keep it up as long as it's illuminated.
    I'm not saying you're saying it to be condescending, but you do realize that those "hicks" are your Countrymen?

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So are those bleeding-heart liberals.

We're all Americans. Flag-flying should NOT be limited to one group.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I've never owned, nor flew and Confederate Flag, but I respect their Right to fly one. I pretty much agree with you.
    Shouldn't? You fixed it while I was replying. I figured that is what you meant.
    It looks like from this thread it isn't despite what the OP wants to believe.

24. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Going to go out on a limb and file this under "things that never happened".