US Flags to Fly at Half-Staff

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CalWizrd, Dec 6, 2013.

1. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

"President Barack Obama ordered American flags to be lowered immediately to half-staff until Monday in tribute to Mandela, a rare honor for a foreign leader.

Why?

When was the last time US flags flew at half-staff for a foreign leader?

2. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

You better have a new flame suit, dude.......

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Flags at half staff to honor a man of global importance, strength, and impact.

Do you have a problem with honoring Mandela, and recognizing the world's loss by flying flags at half staff out of respect, remembrance, and mourning?

4. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Why not?

It shows respect.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Selective respect, aka political correctness. It's called a bandwagon. No one here will utter the word 'terrorist', only 'freedoms fighter'. Which apparently allows the taking of lives, while the former doing it is abhorrent. Something like that.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Your post is off-topic. We do not talk about terrorists in this thread.

7. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

In 2005 for Pope John Paul II.

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

The better question would be:

Why not?

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I hope this answers your question.

10. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Ignoring the evident ignorance of Mandela's abjuration of violent protest during his career as expressed in this post...slinging the label "political correctness" is a cheap and easy denigration of a statement or position.

All it means is...one doesn't agree, but has no better argument than throwing up an overused, cliché epithet.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just smh. Why anyone would have a problem with this is beyond me?

12. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

Thank you for answering my question.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You had two questions...

Why are flags flown at half staff for Mandela...and who was the last foreign leader for whom the flag was flown at half staff.

It seems a bit disingenuous to suggest, as you did in the post above, that neither of your question were answered. The first question did receive responses...the second question answered later in the thread.

BTW: My understanding is the the "order" did not apply to private citizens, but rather to public buildings.

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

'We'?

Nope. It reflects your tunnel vision.

15. CalWizrd thread starter Suspended

CalWizrd

If you want to be "nit picky", yes, I did have two questions, and the first was quickly answered.

To continue into "nit pickiness" ad absurdum, my second question was not "who was the last..." but rather "when was the last...".

So there!

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you really want to be sick, go check out the comments at Free Republic.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The BBC did in their coverage. Even in the brief version on their music stations.

----------

It's not that they hate black people ;).

18. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While Mandela did help form an armed off shoot of the ANC it was in response to brutal suppression of human rights for it's black population. Those who labeled him a terrorist also happened to be the one quelling protests with violence... If you knew your history you'd know the whole situation was abhorrent. What made Mandela into a great leader was that he took a nation in chaos and gave all those people hope, he knew that his freedom did not mean more war, but hope for peace and a chance to move on. If he is to be simply labeled a terrorist, I'd hope more terrorists would be like him.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Just an FYI [please note last bullet point] ...

As others have asked regarding this issue ... why not do it?

20. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Ah, you mean like soon-to-be-American guerrilla fighters in the Revolutionary War?

21. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

I have had enough with the news coverage. Yea, we get it, he died. We know all the great things he did. But he wasn't assassinated, he didn't get buried in Giant's Field in the end zone, he didn't disappear into the Bermuda Triangle. He died of old age. He was 95. He was sick earlier this year and we knew it wasn't long.

Make a tv special and run all of it there. The only thing on the news this morning was he died and the ice storm coming. It's like all the other news on the planet has stopped.

22. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Maybe it is just selective memory, but, it seemed to me that Bush II ramped up the number of occasions far more than I remember any other President before. I would say that President Obama is somewhat carrying on this new trend.

Why not do it? Just that so many worthy individuals die every year, and it therefore threatens to be permanent that we are always honoring someone.

Assuming that world leaders are, for now, to be remembered, and as for Nelson Mandela specifically: As I was listening to the BBC yesterday, the obvious grief that many Afrikaners are feeling over Mandela's death is proof that it was justified. Nelson Mandela and F.W. de Klerk did what was assumed to be impossible: transition to a multi-racial democratic government without destroying the country in a civil war. For which they were honored with the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm sure that racists all over the world are grinding their teeth yet again.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Regardless of whether it has been ramped up Mandela would still be worthy IMO. One of the 20th centuries greatest leaders along with Ghandi.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yet the same exact thing was done when Reagan died; a network even ran a marathon of all of his movies. I believe it was AMC.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

BL.

25. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Is there some issue giving the man a national gesture of respect?