US Gunman kills 6 in Kalamazoo

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sim667, Feb 22, 2016.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

Don't think there's been a thread about this yet.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-deaths-in-kalamazoo-as-gunman-kills-randomly

Sad for the victims involved.

I guess there's been no thread because everyone's busy talking about Apples Backdoor.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2016 ---
    I don't know why I specified him as a "US Gunman" in the title either.

2. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yeah, no need to qualify it, the U.S. is already known as the "The Mass Shooting Capitol of the World".

3. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

Uh yeah, I guess it tends to be pretty sad when you are massacred, for sure.

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

If I had a "home town" Kalamazoo would be it.

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I hope they had their iphones encrypted so they can get off Scot-free too. Some would be proud...

(yes, my post contains some sarcasm. Not going to say precisely where, though.)

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I understand he was driving an Uber car. Uber banned their drivers from carrying firearms while operating as a Uber vehicle so I don't understand why he had a gun with him in the first place.

He should have been following the regulation... Hmm...

7. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The shooter apparently started working as an Uber driver very recently. And, according to someone who'd ridden with him; he was upset that he'd received poor ratings from some of his passengers.

I don't want to rationalize anything, but this world where everyone gets to be a critic - of films; restaurants; books; and Uber drivers - can be a little unsettling.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's just another ordinary day, why does there need to be a thread?

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"I got a gal in Kalamazoo
    Don't want to boast but I know
    She's the toast of Kalamazoo
    (Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)

Years have gone by
    My, my, how she grew
    I liked her looks
    When I carried her books in Kalamazoo
    (Zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo, zoo)"

10. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

Living on the other side of the state there sure were some crazy things going on in the lower part of Michigan last Saturday night. The Kalamazoo shooting of course making the national news. Of course all those things either bad or sad (A family of six died of carbon monoxide poisoning). :(

11. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

If you are to be the victim of a terrorist attack, it will most likely be perpetrated by a White male.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

and if you are the victim of a gang attack, it will most likely be Hispanic or black.
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/gang-693237-anaheim-curiel.html
    http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/2...mber-recently-out-of-jail-charged-in-shooting
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-chicago-shooting-idUSKBN0TG1F620151127

state in question makes a difference as to the ethnic background of the shooter.

wait, are the Tennessee shooters & the San Bernardino shooters considered "white"?

13. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Criminal activity is generally a result of poverty. Blacks and Latinos are more likely to be affected by poverty, so your statement is obviously correct. The violence is a result of the economy we have designed.

Terrorist incidences committed by non-Whites are statistically very small by comparison, regardless of the state we are looking at.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

media is more than happy to point out the crazy white dude. crazy black dude? not as likely, example
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/11/at_least_10_victims_of_bunny_f.html

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Or the gang bangers in your city. ;)

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that's NOT terrorism [​IMG] even when they end up shooting 17 people as pointed out above, it's simply business as usual.

17. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

First, the Guardian is a UK paper, so making sure that readers understand the story took place in the US helps. Second, perhaps the paper is trying to make the point that the vast majority of these shootings are not by Syrian immigrants...

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

white guy shoots 6 = terrorism
    minority shoots 17 shot = just business as usual.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I always love when people say the "media" doesn't do something while using an article from a newspaper's website to prove their case.

Note: that story was also covered by the Washington Post, USA Today, Reuters, the Associated Press and CNN.

BTW, in January, a New Orleans grand jury indicted 10 men for their role in the shootings.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

that is why I said "not as likely", it was no where near mainstream.

22. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You can't reasonably argue that the Washington Post, the AP, and CNN are "nowhere near mainstream." Moreover, a LexisNexus search turns up hundreds of articles about this particular shooting.

Was it covered like the San Bernardino shootings? No. And, there are a couple of reasons: first, everyone was wounded; second, the shooting came just over a week after the Paris attacks, which dominated much of the news cycle.

And, unfortunately, there's a tendency to see crime in NOLA, including second-line shootings, as nothing special. That's a problem for national media to consider, but the media covered the Bunny Friend Park shootings.

People need to remember that there are only so many reporters and producers, and this means that stories can get lost in the shuffle. If you want more coverage, pay for it.

23. FieldingMellish Suspended

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I CAN if I want to win the argument :p
    bold & red are pretty much what I am getting at, crazy white dude = terrorism, minorities killing each other? meh, business as usual

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hah. You can, but you're still not winning.

I get what you're trying to argue, but the Bunny Friend Park shooting proves the opposite.

The media does cover shootings by white dudes and minorities, and the reasons that a story might not get coverage has nothing to do with race, but rather with news value.