US Healthcare: Most expensive in world, with worst results.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 16, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

That’s because we work harder than the rest of the world.

3. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

This is not new but is worth pointing out. It's something that opponents of single payer conveniently ignore when they claim we have the best health care system in the world.

4. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

I feel like the lack of transparency and oversight need a lot of work. When a pharmaceutical company can still give a CEO millions of dollars in bonuses while still raising prices on drugs, it's unacceptable. When insurance companies can just raise prices whenever they want on consumers, there should be better options.

Why is saline $800+ a bag? Why is a bandaid $50+? Why do they charge you just to hold your own child after birth? Why can't you just ask the providers how much each thing will cost before they administer it?

All these corporations are in each others pockets. So who is regulating them? Someone needs to.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah, healthcare needs to be reformed. A $1300/month for a family of 4 with a $8000 deductible is not insurance.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Work harder at what? Dying?

7. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I think a big part of that is insurance. If nobody had insurance and at the end of the day you got a full bill for every little thing that they charge for people would be much more aware of that sort of stuff.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Our healthcare system is a joke. You pay over a lot of $$$ for a service and when you go to use it, it cost even more $$$. This is why most Americans don't bother going to the doctor unless it's something life threatening.

I wish hospitals would start accepting medical supplies and drugs as payment. I would be able to pay off those $40K medical bills with a bulk pack of band-aids and Tylenol.:p

9. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Let us just say what the true problem is: market failure.

A member of my family recently gave birth to a premature kid. Both mom and kid are OK, but the total bill is for $250,000 and climbing...

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I can agree with that.

11. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

That's the biggest problem. The insurance industry can negotiate the prices. So they work in tandem with the local service providers. To me, this is just like a racket. The prices should be kept at a sustainable price for everyone. We should be able to know what we are paying for and neither the insurance nor provider will tell you that.

It makes care completely full of inequality. That is unacceptable to me.

12. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Life in general. A European will laugh at your work schedule and lack of vacation time.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

We are also one of the fattest ****ing countries on the face of the planet. Single payer healthcare and/or medical advancements aren't going to matter if people keep making stupid choices in their diet. If the left got everything they wanted in HC it wouldn't change a damn thing in life expectancy unless they're handing out ball gags with it.

14. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

It will be nice when all the people who think the US is the greatest country on earth by any metric die out. They’re holding us back.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Oh well at least we're Top Ten! I think we have still a chance in the category of "Best Superpower" or "Best Country with Pop over 300 million"

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Rightfully so?

17. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Likely.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That's because of the why Corporate America treats its workers. If we take too many vacation days or too many sicks, we get fired. We're expendable.

I see my Boss driving up in a new car. "Wow, that's a really nice car, sir. I'd love to drive one of those..." I said.
    He said, "Well, if you set goals, work really hard, put in the long hours, then I can get an even better one next year."

19. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Only way to make a change is not a fb/MR post. Need to call/write local and state legislators. Not picking on you but this is what we need to do. No reason why a child birth in the USA should cost $30,000.

20. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Work-life balance. A job is not a person and a person is not a job.

21. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

Thing is there are so many of us writing, petitioning, etc along with us using social media as a way for our voice to be heard. Like how a large majority support legal cannabis in some way or another but it's still federally illegal. The pharmaceutical companies and the healthcare industry are the new big oil. They run with it and politicians are happy to take the "Donations".

It'll take a knock down drag out fight to ever see progress here. That's the sad truth. The business end is so lucrative for many that toes will be stepped on.

22. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Completely agree here. There is hardly any incentive to stay fi and take care of yourself. They have pills for everything and the docs are all too willing to prescribe pills versus push people to do the right thing. There is so much wrong with health care right now that attacking it is almost impossible. Lets review the issues:

1) Way too many hands in the pot aka insurance companies, HMOs, whomever else.
    2) Doctors forced to carry ridiculous malpractice insurance which adds huge costs to everything
    3) Pharma companies being greedy pricks
    4) Fat/lazy people sucking up too much health care dollars
    5) Low-lifes using the emeregncy rooms for sore throats
    6) Way too many tests being ordered and requested(see item #2)
    7) The system milking old people with ailments
    8) People live longer than they used to and cost a LOT more as they age.

And on and on and on. Good Luck.

23. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

Live to work, it is the American way!

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Life expectancy isn't really a good indicator, especially when Americans eat like ****, work too much, and don't take enough time off compared to other nations.

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

PROFITS, BABY!
    Hey, the GOP has been giving their brand of catastrophe in the name of big business for almost half a century, FU minion citizens. Yet puzzling, the minions seem to ask for more. Maybe we are paying for our poor choices. :oops:

Did you know that before 1973 it was illegal in the US to profit off of health care. The Health Maintenance Organization Act of 1973 passed by Nixon changed everything.
    http://www.investmentwatchblog.com/...t-of-1973-passed-by-nixon-changed-everything/

And to perfectly cement HMOA73 as the profiteering boondoggle that it actually was, the law Nixon mandated also included clauses that encouraged medical providers to not CURE afflictions, but to PROLONG them by only treating the symptoms. There’s no money to be made in CURING sickness. But the sky’s the limit when it comes to forcing people to endure repetitive doctor visits, endless (and often useless and redundant) tests, and … of course … let’s not forget the ever-increasing demand for American-made prescription drugs!