(US) Idea: Mandatory proof of vaccinations for traffic stops.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Jun 6, 2018.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Here's an idea:

You have to produce license and registration at a traffic stop. I think there ought to be a law that said all adult occupants in the car must carry and produce either: A) proof that they are in transit to obtain shots, B) or a standard (DMV-produced) electronic form signed by a licensed clinician or pharmacist, certifying either:

1) that the individual in question is immunized against all diseases for which the CDC recommends a vaccine for a person of their age, except for the ones they are medically ineligible to receive, and:
    X) that all immunizations will be current until X date; or, if there are vaccines they should have but do not have:
    2) Any vaccinations the individual's record does not indicate the individual received.

Additionally, if there are any minors in the car, the adult placed in legal charge of the minor(s) will be required to produce the same form on the minors' behalf.

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I think right to privacy may be at odds with this line of thinking.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. HUGE 4A violation here, plus HIPAA. This is a road we definitely do not want to pursue.

BL.

4. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Only if we can have mandatory vasectomy for welfare recipients :cool:

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Or for those who complain about them. ;)

BL.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

might as well run their DNA while they’re at it.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

There will be a lot less spoiled rich kids running around. :p

8. 0002378 Suspended

WTF ?!!!

9. 0007776 Suspended

Even though I support mandatory vaccinations I think this would cross a line. I don’t want police to be able to ask for anything more than is actually needed at a traffic stop.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. Even this would go farther than Joe Arpaio's "Papers Please" during a traffic stop. If a warrant is required for all searches and seizures of data without probable cause, what probable cause would any LEO have to warrant immediate access to someone's health records at a traffic stop?

BL.

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

With all due respect to the OP, I have no choice but to post this:

12. 0002378 Suspended

Phones are getting smarter, the people that use them are getting dumber ... sigh ... :(

13. 0007776 Suspended

I also think that this would make a lot of people who are on the fence about vaccinations mad enough to skip them and have the opposite effect of what is intended.

14. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Sounds fascist.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The police should not be the enforcers of Healthcare. Not unless we want a police nanny state.

Ultimately the draw to getting vaccines should be the benefits of the vaccine for the individual and community. Education/dispelling myths goes a long way.

Vaccinations are also most important for children. Children don’t drive- or must you carry everyone’s documentation in the car. Most people don’t get pulled over often, if ever, making this a pretty inefficient verification system.

16. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

uhhhhhhhh......?

17. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

So basically "Papers, please!" from 1930s Germany?

And you're wanting it?

Your grand-parents aren't living in Argentina perhaps? Didn't come over to the USA to work for NASA, way back in the day?

18. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

A “show us your papers” scheme like this just reeks of a fascist state and I think this is a wrong-headed idea. I do think, however, that certain government services (e.g., public schools, publicly funded health care, SNAP) should be contingent on the recipients and their dependents having received all recommended vaccinations.

19. appleisking macrumors 6502a

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I support mandatory vaccinations and think any of these morons who refuse should be forced to live inside a plastic bubble in the middle of Montana, but the police shouldn't be the ones to enforce it.

We could go a long way by getting rid of these so-called "religious exemptions" that schools have. If your child wants to attend school, then they have to be vaccinated, or a real medical doctor, not some anti-vax quack, has to give a damn good reason why the child can't be vaccinated.

21. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

I'm not sure that is harsh enough.

22. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well this is one of the more purely moronic suggestions around here. I support requiring vaccinations, but what’s with the traffic stop angle? How is this relevant to enforcing traffic laws?

I’m sorry, but what a completely bloody stupid idea.

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

24. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Hell the Department of Justice has announced it's not even going to enforce assorted key aspects of the Affordable Care Act any more. Pretty soon healthcare will flip to the illegal side of things the way the GOP is going. See a doctor, pay a fine on top of his fee. Gotta fund the tax cuts somehow.

25. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Where did this come from?
    I know we seem to have issues with the anti-vaccers in this country(US) and more people should keep their vaccinations current but isn’t this kind of the nuclear option?