US intimates abstention from next Israel UN Security Council Vote at Arab League

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mkrishnan, Mar 28, 2010.

1. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8591714.stm

Sorry, I know we have ad nauseum threads on the topic of the Israeli occupation. Bravo, if indeed the Administration has "grown a pair" on this one... Whether Netanyahu was blind-sided or not, this move to sabotage the peace initiative we have been brokering at great expense to ourselves is unjustifiable, and we should not be in the business of apologizing to the world for their bad behavior.

2. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

How a foreign country like Israel has so much influence on US foreign policy is scary. Perhaps Glen Beck should begin focusing on this.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The thing is along with these settlements, the Europeans all getting pissed off about their passports and the lack of large scale suicide attacks by the Palestinians its getting more and more difficult to defend Israel, and no-one's going to criticise you for opposing them more.

4. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Glen Beck is the reason Israel has so much influence.
    Go ahead and call me a white supremacist and get it over with. The Jewish community has too much influence over US foreign policy. There, I said it. Anyone who dares speak out against Israel is labeled anti-semitic. Its pathetic and disgusting. The Israeli lobby is the reason the US is in Iraq.

5. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I completely agree

6. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

The Israeli people are certainly aware, by this time, that the administration favors the Arabian countries rather than our long-term Israeli ally here; if the US (read Obama administration UN staff) is considering abstaining, or does abstain, from a UN Security Council resolution it does so only to please and edify Obama and not in furtherance of the will of the American people, who consider Israel our friend. This point needs be made clear. What also needs be emphasized is that this issue - expansion of peaceful Israeli settlements - pales in insignificance to the real issue of Iranian nuclear ambitions, something the Obama administration has done nothing about.

7. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

When your "friends" act like *******s they should be called on it. Doesnt mean we arent friends any more.

8. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

DING DING DING! And there we have it.
    Anyone who doesn't want Israel building illegal settlements or bombing the crap out of people in concentration camps favors the Arabs. :rolleyes:
    The 'ol Tel Aviv two-step.

Should the US invade Iran? Airstrikes? I'd love to see that. Start another war that would make Iraq look like a walk in the park.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They are aware of no such thing. This is pure invention on your part. The Administration favours a more balanced approach than in the past, which is excellent. Considering that Rahm Emanuel was being castigated not too long ago for his "obvious" Zionist sympathies, having served with the IDF and all, this is a refreshing change.

The American people have not expressed their will in opposition to this, so how would you know?

Firstly, these Israeli "settlements" are far from peaceful and far from legal: they are illegal settlements in Palestinian territory in flagrant contravention of International Law, full of armed occupiers backed up by the regular army, control roads, military checkpoints and watchtowers; secondly, Obama has done a great deal more than the Bush Administration about Iran: he has engaged with them while keeping his options open, whereas all Bush and Cheney seemed capable of was vacuous rhetoric and willy-waving, which got precisely nowhere.

10. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

When was the last time Iran attacked another country? What about Israeli nuclear ambitions? Why hasn't Obama done anything about Israel's nuclear weapons program?

The funny thing is that if the UN were to have a vote on what to do with Israel's nuclear program, the US would probably abstain, but if it was on the Iranian nuclear program, a country that doesn't even have the weapons, they'd be front row and centre. This my friend is the result of the sad and scary Israeli influence on your country's foreign policy and ultimately, independence.

I don't think you're a white supremacist, I agree with you. The concept of anti-semetism has served the Israeli government well, and has given them a lot of impunity from criticism and allowed them to continuously break international law time and again as well as suppress free speech and the search for truth and justice. Heck they've even politicized the holocaust for this cause, which is sickening.

11. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

They are low income housing. Explain how they are "far from peaceful" please...

That issue is under dispute. However, even if they are considered "illegal" settlements, this is by no means the issue that the Obama Administration and the Palestinians are making it. Matter of fact Hamas and Hezbollah fired rockets into Israel all last summer and nobody in the administration said a thing.

Prove it! Obama did nothing about the fraudulent election in Iran last year, did nothing about the citizen protests about the election and the Iranian citizens murdered on the street by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's thugs, and he's done nothing about Iran's nuclear ambitions. In short, Obama has given tacit acceptance of Iran and made a mockery of our long-standing historical alliance with Israel.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because they are in occupied territory.

How many people were injured/killed by those? 2? 3?

13. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

The number of people injured or killed doesn't really matter. The violence perpetrated by both sides (Israeli and Palestinian) has done nothing to establish peace and sovereignty. Although I see Israel as the main aggressor, that doesn't give Hamas and Hezbollah a moral pass in my book. And let's face it with those fanatics wielding as much power as they do in Palestine, establishing a Palestinian state will only be a first step in securing a stable environment in the region. I predict a lot of bloodshed after a Palestinian state is founded. One need only to look over to Algeria and the FLN for precedent.

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

hmmmm, somebody shooting the occassional rocket at your community and only killing 2 or 3 of your neighbors would be acceptable to people where you live? lol.....probably not

but beyond that......in fact the US Gov denounces those rockets attacks, it's just not reported in the "hate obama" media

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I wasn't pointing out that the rocket attacks were acceptable, just that if they aren't very effective you cannot treat them as equals to the Israeli army.

Its like saying that the police have the right to shoot people with live ammo if they are getting stones thrown at them.

If they don't want the rocket attacks, maybe they should stop turning Gaza into a Ghetto and try for peace in a serious fashion.

16. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

of course the other side of that coin would be say that if the people in Gaza don't want the israelis turning Gaza into a ghetto, then maybe they should stop shooting these relatively ineffective rockets at them

Both sides have something to gain from a stop to this cycle of violence, but it seems to me that the Gazans stand to gain a whole lot more than the israelis

17. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

To move beyond the tit-for-tat discussion on blame in the region, an American abstention in the Security Council should do wonders for Israeli diplomacy. Some have argued that the driving aspect why Israeli diplomacy is not as effective as it had been in generations past is simply that a generational shift has taken place.

Another argument could be that Israel has become so insulated from any short-term consequences by the United States that it has been able to get away with making decisions that are inimical to the the United States, and indeed the state of Israel.

The sooner the Israelis realize that the United States will always be a strong ally, but will not shield Israel from the ramifications of its own poor decisions, the better off everyone will be.

18. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

That's where you're wrong. Once a right winger gets in office - the US will indeed do anything and everything to protect Israel at all costs. It sucks but that's America.

19. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I was speaking about the present, since that is what matters - not 3 or 7 years from now. Also, you are wrong. A "right-winger" does not necessarily mean that the US cannot be tough on Israel. It's true a neoconservative probably wouldn't. We need to be careful with labels.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Cut the city in half and give each of the religious tards a piece of the "holy land". First side that starts a new confrontation gets a carpet bombing.

21. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Yeah, that'll work.