US iPhone in Australia

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shivneil, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Shivneil macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I just wanted to know if a US iPhone 5 will work in Australia. I'm going on a holiday to the US and I'm planning to buy it from there, to use here in Australia.
    Another thing, are the iPhones unlocked at the Apple stores in the US?
    And how much are they at the Apple store if you buy it outright?

Thanks.

2. jkun macrumors member

Ok...

First, you can't buy an unlocked iphone 5 in the US yet. Verizon iPhone 5's are unlocked, but have to be bought on contract or month-to-month.

And the LTE bands are not compatible with Australia's.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

This will all depend on your cellular network. The AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5 at full price ($650+ state tax (8% in NY) will come GSM unlocked. What you need to consider is whether the iPhone will support LTE.

Check this Apple page. The only model I see that supports Australia's LTE networks is the GSM A1429. This model is intended for support overseas and is not sold in the US. Your best bet is to buy this model online or order from Apple.

4. aka777 macrumors 6502a

The best bet is to buy the Verizon version, which is unlocked and supports the international LTE frequencies.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Of course, it's going to be hard (translation: impossible) for someone from Australia to buy a contract phone - even if you plan to cancel it instantly.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Also, pretty sure for the iPhones the warranty is only valid in the country of purchase.

Honestly you're better off getting it here.