US iPhone in UK showing number instead of name when I receive a text

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dave B, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Dave B macrumors member

I have a unlocked US 1.1.1 iPhone and am using it in the UK on a PAYG 02 Sim. When I get a text message it shows up with the number that sent it on the home screen. But when I go into the SMS section it's fine and comes up with the correct name.

Is there a fix for this ?

Dave

2. Lau Guest

Could it be something to do with the way you've saved phone numbers? For instance, you could save a UK phone number as:

+447787123456

or

and from within the same country they're effectively the same number, but it could be the iPhone doesn't initially recognise +44 as being the same as 0 on the foreign phone for some reason.

Worth a try changing one of the ones that doesn't work to the other format, maybe?

3. Dave B thread starter macrumors member

Yes it could be that actually.

I have them all stored as 07 at the moment.

EDIT: Just tried it and it worked fine, cheers for that. Changed one from 07 to +447 and it showed the name.

Cheers,

Dave

4. Dave B thread starter macrumors member

Well it was sorted but now phone numbers show the number and not the name :mad:

Dave

5. ay98182 macrumors member

I have a 1.0.2 unlocked US iphone in the UK on Vodafone and I have the same problem - the only solution I've found is to input the number twice - once as +447___ for the texts, and once as 07___ for the calls! It's a pain, but it seems to be the only way, unless someone's released a patch or something?

6. sva macrumors regular

I had the same problem with my US 1.1.1 unlocked iPhone.

It went away when I upgraded to 1.1.3.

7. Dave B thread starter macrumors member

Am wondering if there is a fix using the UIPhoneFormats.plist file. It seems to be a key for how numbers are decoded or something.

Dave

8. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

If you just update to 1.1.4, this is fixed. The phone wasn't formatted for UK phone numbers untill it was released here (with 1.1.2)

9. Dave B thread starter macrumors member