US is deploying an aircraft carrier and a bomber task force to the Middle East

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, May 5, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Who knows what Iran is doing but there is a contingent on the Right who have wanted war with Iran for a long time. Trump would go along with it because Obama did the Iran deal and anything Obama did was bad. Hence Trump being much more hawkish towards Iran than North Korea.
    [​IMG]

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

we have no problems at all with NK......... hope this does not go over some simple muscle flexing.

3. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Lots of so-called “neocons” and others on the Right have wanted war with Iran for a long time. I remember Frank Gaffney going on Hugh Hewitt’s radio show in 2003/2004 saying if we don’t strike Iran right away doom is coming. Trump hates Iran because of the Iran deal that was done by Obama. It wasn’t a good deal but Trump doesn’t know the first thing about it other than it came from Obama so it has to be bad.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

it does bug me trump just killing anything with Obama's name for no good reason :(

5. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

There’s very little about Obama that I would ever defend but Trump doesn’t know squat about Obama’s policies. He’d probably love the Affordable Care Act. He hates it because it’s nickname is Obamacare.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

only thing there that needed to go was the mandate.

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Lets see the reasons behind it, before making our own.

8. Altis macrumors 68030

This doesn't seem like it's in the interest of the American people. It's almost like it's being done on behalf of another entity. Really makes you think.

9. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m sure Netanyahu is happy.

10. jerwin macrumors 68020

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Dude theres no need to use giant fonts to make it seem like its some major deal going down.

The Navy sends task forces to the middle east all the time.

12. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

A quick check of navy.mil shows that CVN-72 was in the Mediterranean Sea last week. The carrier strike group was scheduled to go from the Mediterranean Sea to the Middle East this upcoming week. In other words, nothing has changed from the original scheduled deployment.

13. Zenithal macrumors 604

Without going into detail, past assessments and simulations would result in us and our allies losing and suffering millions of losses over an expanded timeline. You'd quickly spend the first 10 years of Iraq's total costs under 4-5 years at taxpayer's expense. This isn't Iraq.

Bibi and MBS talk a big game but they're worthless leaders. This is Bolton's MO. It doesn't even touch on the issue if there likely being double agents in our intelligence services or even the Mossad.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    This is pretty typical response and has been for quite a long time. Problem in an area? Park a Carrier Task Force in the neighborhood.

15. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

The same Netanyahu supporters along with the associated parties (Note, not all parties are associated ) that wanted war with Iraq now want war with Iran.

16. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

It’s just a show of face... no side wants conflict.

17. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Was that face, farce, or force? :D

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Pompeo abruptly cancelled a scheduled meeting with Chancellor Merkel due to “emergency issues” and left Germany for an undisclosed location. I do not like this.

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

China or ME?

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Hopefully China.

21. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

What could possibly go wrong?

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Pompeo and Bolton are freakin' cancer. One of Trump's flaws that is not often discussed is his susceptibility to being influenced. As a political novice, he does tend to do what his advisors tell him, even if at the outset he seemed opposed to their views, like Pompeo's and Bolton's hawkishness. Stay strong, Trump. Don't let them talk you into starting a needless war.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yeah ok but when are we going to hear some detail on the threat level that made them decide ok let's get off the Med beach and move this baby around to the Persian Gulf.

They can't portage across there lol, so how much is that gonna cost us to send a "message" through the Suez Canal, down the Red Sea, around the corner and Gulf of Aden to Arabian Sea, up to the Gulf of Oman and ... then finally through the straits of Hormuz... under the watchful eye of those newish subs belonging to Iran.

And the carrier group is bearing initial messages not from Trump but two slightly different messages from John Bolton and from Mike Pompeo to the ayatollahs? Those guys are not very receptive, because of Trump stomping on what was a nice agreement that the Don had nothing to do with, and because they, like Kim, remember what happened to Saddam Hussein after he abandoned his WMD programs.

Bolton's of the same bunch of neocons who along with Chalabi were pitching this stuff even back in the mid 90s, when Netanyahu was first running for PM. It's getting old. And Iran is not Iraq (and like not Puerto Rico, say) and Iraq was never going to be the sold-in piece of cake pitched on a bunch of cherrypicked and in some cases flat wrong and already discredited intel.

So excuse me when I balk at being told just about nothing in two different and ambiguous messages addressed to Iran from two members of Trump's admin.

"Sounds like... " ??? I dunno. Looks like Mike Pompeo not having that much trouble picking up where poor Colin Powell left off stuck in the role of duped warmonger support though. Pompeo seems to have signed right on up front for this one. The good cop, of the bad cop and good cop scenario.

Don't mind my buddy John getting a little ahead of himself maybe, but see there's a reason for this, don't get upset, go with the flow, trust me that this is a necessary maneuver.

Yeah. Something will be necessary to sell in all the people I know about a regime change in Iran. Worst idea any one has had since invading Iraq.

Not trying to make something Red-v-Blue out of this considering how many votes there were to "go get 'em boyz!" regarding the invasion of Iraq.

I'm jes' sayin' when John Bolton talks and when Mike Pompeo chirps up later, I might be listening, but I'm trying to listen for clear and present danger and not some recurrence of vague trust-me hive mind that the neocons sold in to Bush and now maybe to Trump, stuff that might appeal to him if he feels a little threatened by an oppositional Congress talking trash about abuse of power and obstruction of justice.

I imagine his wheels turning: you wanna see abuse of power?

Oh, wait. An emperor can't abuse power. He crowns himself and so everything's all good.

So again, how much does fuel cost for an aircraft carrier group to make a sun-and-fun run around all those turquoise waters surrounding the desert countries of the western Middle East to get to the Persian Gulf anyway? Enough to pay for more of that wall Trump said Mexico would spring for?

And why are they dispatching bombers as well? I thought they just hauled most of the bombers off for some overdue maintenance work and some at-home R&R for the boyz from Louisiana. Maybe those aren't the ones being deployed... how much does jet fuel go for now? More wall money?

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

That wasn't the original plan by Romney. Again, requiring people to have insurance was a GOP idea to prevent 'freeloading' by people who don't have insurance making the rest of society pay. You know, the GOP's emphasis on personal responsibility and all of that. That's the irony in all of this. Obamacare is essentially RomenyGOPCare. Obama favored it simply becuase it was the only thing that had a chance of getting through Congress.

25. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

They want the golen heights...israel has taken too much from the Sea of Galilee and it’s lowing the amount of liquid in that lake, once israel goes for the golan heights this will most likely provide the reasoning for the next war and the destruction of Damascus.
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2019 ---
    The feds will print more or tax the public for it.