US Judges Imprison Kids for Money

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Feb 14, 2009.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/13/us/13judge.html?_r=1
    87 months? That's only seven years and three months. They should be serving the combined time of all the people they wrongfully sentenced, and assuming they all got at least one month, that's 5000+ months (416 years and 8 months) each.

Also, private prisons? When did this happen?

EDIT:
    Wire fraud and income tax fraud? Nothing for kidnapping or false imprisonment?

2. remmy macrumors 6502a

Will those that have been sent to this private detention centre be released and have their records cleared as it seems that they never got a fair trial?

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I bet the good old boy system gives these guys near nothing in a sentence. The legal and political system we have favors those who manipulate and operate with in it. Ill be shocked if these two judges get any time in prison.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems to me that the problem, in these cases, is the shielding the justice system provides itself from the parties it wrongs. When the legal system unfairly imprisons someone, it doesn't usually have to pay large fines -- if I were for some reason imprisoned unjustly for the next decade, and suppose I have an earning potential of an average of $200,000 per annum over those ten years, then the justice system, on my release, doesn't give me the $2M in revenues I lost, let alone punitive damages or projected future loss of revenue after the time of release.

I know it would stink for the taxpayers, but this would be the start of fixing this type of problem. If the justice system were open to millions in punitive damages to the families of children affected, it would be much more motivated to change, including creating harsher penalties for miscreant judges.

I don't personally approve of the death penalty either philosophically or financially, but I think that a just legal system should enshrine as its very worst possible domestic crime when a public servant abuses their role in the criminal judicio-executive systems. Crimes like these fundamentally destroy the public trust in government and are outdone only by outright treason.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Private prisons have been around for a long time. They're a product of Reagan's privatization efforts. Let's hope the prison owners get sentenced as well and that the prisons are closed.

6. XnavxeMiyyep thread starter macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

(emphasis mine)
    Agreed. Actually, I think this should be equivalent to treason.

Ugh. Every time I learn something new about Reagan, I hate him even more.

Hopefully, but who knows?

You're probably right.:(