US leaked information about the Manchester idiot bomber - UK unhappy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by VulchR, May 24, 2017.

1. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It appears that under the Trump administration that people are clueless about the value of sensitive information. The UK Home Secretary blames the US intelligence services for leaking the name of the bomber to the press (see BBC story). Releasing that name could have triggered an impromptu attack if the bomber was linked to a network and the network was faced with either making an impromptu attack or risk getting shut down before they could execute another planned attack. Other terrorists cells have carried out impromptu attacks under those conditions. I have family and friends in London and Manchester, so - with respect - can people over in the US please shut their traps about ongoing UK investigations?

I say this as a US citizen, by the way.

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

let's hope the new special investigator finds the source of all the leaks.

3. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Those anonymous sources CBS and NBC cited are most likely career NatSec employees. But let's blame Trump.

4. 576316 macrumors 601

Trump probably told one of his mates at a dinner party. Probably a Russian, they're very trustworthy people. "Great people. Just the best."

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why would they harm an active investigation?

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Why would they leak anything? Why would the idiots at NBC, CBS, ABC, and Reuters publish it?

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The leftovers from Obama admin are so used to talking to the press and leaking stuff now that it's second nature.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Not really sure how this can be pinned on the administration, other than the whole "buck stops here" mantra.

None of this seems like the leak was the White House.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2017 ---
    Source for the leak?

Oh you don't know who it is?

Maybe stop being facetious long enough to contribute once in a while?

9. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

This is true.

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Intel people tend to be career employees, so they could be left over from the Obama, Bush 43, Clinton, Bush 41, or even the Reagan administration.

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sorry the left that has been feeding off of anonymous leaks through illegal channels doesn't get to stand on the high ground when one of the leaks possibly gets people killed.

The subject of the thread assumed it came out of the white house.

12. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

Agreed. This thread became partisan right from the start.

I get that Trump is a lighting rod (by his own doing to a large degree), but the guy isn't Satan. He's not responsible for everything that ever goes wrong. It's kind of ridiculous.

Back to the topic, it doesn't sound like this compromised the investigation so our friends in the U.K should be able to clear out whatever rats nest this guy came from.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I already wrote that I don't see any evidence that it came from the White House, where's your evidence it came from an Obama administration? Most of the professional intelligence agencies have people who have been working there 20+ years.

Oh never mind, you're just trolling the thread to get some perceived jab in on "the left". :rolleyes:

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because they don't like Trump and it doesn't harm active investigations.

I'd blame Obama if he was president.

15. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

No you wouldn't.

16. sim667 macrumors 65816

As far as I'm concerned US administration proactively trying to undermine the efforts to bring people associated with the bomber to justice.

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I would. Political appointees are more likely to be foolish on stuff like this than career officers.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

this is something of course the above won't confront. part of the problem with the leaks is that the information they continue to push out is proven to push up ratings and the Media is putting their own interests above country. Whether they like or approve of Trump shouldn't even be a factor when reporting news but we know it is as the news media today are basically all checkout line trash mags anymore. However even with that, the media needs to police itself and need only look in the mirror vs blaming Trump when it comes to doing the country harm. The irony with them is thick.

19. Huntn, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

You sound like the Republicans in yesterday's Brennan hearings who were more worried about leakers, making their guy look bad, instead of concern about having a puppet President dancing on the strings of foreign agents. :rolleyes: :oops:

Think about this, when the label leaker involves White House sources, you can make an assumption there is some level of concern that the train's engineer has been drinking and a curve is directly ahead.

edit: typo

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Trump isn't "my guy" but let's not let that stand in the way of a good comment.

Also, in terms of the hype being pushed around about any Russian involvement, I'm still waiting on any real proof of anything as are the members of congress you speak of. Bremer danced just like they all have and IMO did a pretty poor too. Until we put aside the BS of "classified" anything and come out and speak the details, those hearings are nothing more than show-boating for the sides involved. They are a complete waste of time and we should just skip them all together.

See my other post above too.

21. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I just said you sounded like :)... practically all the concern expressed by the Republicans on the panel was about leaks.

22. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Brennan, not Bremer. Brennan.
    --- Post Merged, May 24, 2017 ---
    The leakers are more than likely career intelligence employees.

23. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

"Senior officials" or "intelligence officials" are due to leak something about Trussia sometime this afternoon if they stick to the schedule, so let's remember to be mad at them for that leak too.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why?

25. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Corrected, thanks.